What's your summit?
Blue Ridge Community College, a two-year, comprehensive post-secondary insitution in the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina, seeks a Director of Communications & Marketing to join our student-centered, community-focused team. We proudly serve Henderson and Transylvania counties, providing more than 100 degrees, diplomas, and certificates in 30 areas of study. We offer a wide range of college transfer courses and have articulation programs with four-year colleges and universities. In addition, we provide one of the largest Continuing Education programs in the state.
Blue Ridge places a high value on cultural, gender, racial, and ethnic diversity.
Primary Purpose of Position
The Director of Communications & Marketing serves as the College’s Public Information Officer and directs all communications and marketing functions of Blue Ridge Community College. The position reports to the Vice President of Advancement and to the College President.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
● Serves as the public information officer in support of the College President to ensure strategic messaging within internal communications, board relations, crisis, and emergency response, speeches, and presentations.
● Supervises three-member College communications and marketing team.
● Oversees the Communications and Marketing Department budget.
● Coordinates emergency announcements as part of the College’s Crisis Management Team (CMT).
● Writes, edits, and distributes all college news releases and handles media inquiries and requests for information.
● Develops and maintains effective relationships with representatives of the mass media while serving as College spokesperson and providing information about the College and its students.
● Assesses the College’s image in the service area. Provides relevant feedback and suggestions to the senior leadership team concerning the public’s image, reactions, and needs as they relate to the College’s mission and programs.
● Oversees editorial and design services for College publications such as catalog, annual report, brochures, and programs.
● Oversees brand management, public relations, media relations, and advertising activities.
● Reviews, edits, and approves content for the College website while working with the website coordinator to create dynamic content.
● Regularly works on teams and committees with fellow employees, community members, and organizations to advance the mission of Blue Ridge Community College.
● Ensures compliance and confidentiality with policies and procedures of the College, NC Community College System, The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), and applicable state and federal agencies.
● Ability to work independently and prioritize multiple tasks.
● Must be able to set priorities, effectively manage projects, and make sound judgments regarding sensitive and highly visible matters.
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field from an accredited institution is required.
5-10 years of related experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite Cloud (InDesign (proficient), Photoshop); Microsoft Office, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram; Google/G-Suite; WordPress; Hootsuite (post to social media platform); Constant Contact.
Knowledge of AP Style.
Knowledge of communication and marketing techniques across various media formats and channels.
Knowledge of print production processes and standards.
Excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills are required.
The ability to perform all duties associated with the position including, but not limited to lifting, prolonged standing, sitting, bending, stooping, and operating or performing work with associated tools and machines.