Job no: 518149
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Veteran's Preference Eligible
Department:28311001 - VM-ICU AND PCW SERVICES
Emergency & Critical Care Veterinary Technician I/II (CARE)
The University of Florida Small Animal Hospital is recruiting for a Veterinary Technician for their Emergency and Critical Care Department. Prefer applicants with 3-5 years of experience in emergency and/or critical care medicine. This position will provide nursing care for critically ill patients and handle emergency cases. The position will assist clinicians and students with emergency and critical care patients and procedures. This position will have an intermediate responsibility to provide instruction and demonstration to students, interns, residents in a clinical setting. The Veterinary Technician requires a strong knowledge of veterinary nursing care and techniques. This position requires a basic understanding of anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, and disease processes.
- This position requires a post offer health assessment and a criminal background check
- This is to fill positions for the following shifts:
- 6am-7pm Fri-Sun
- 6am – 7pm Sat-Mon
- May require working alternate shifts, holidays, weekends, or “on-call duty”
- This position is considered essential personnel
- This position is part of the Emergency Response Team
$18-$26; Competitive salary based on experience
Emergency & Critical Care Veterinary Technician I: High school diploma and two years of veterinary experience or one year of veterinary experience and currently enrolled in a veterinary technician program or a graduate of a veterinary technician program.
Emergency & Critical Care Veterinary Technician II: Credentialed veterinary technician with at least two (2) years of experience exposed to veterinary emergency medicine. Credentialed veterinary technician (CVT/LVT/RVT)
1. Graduation from an accredited veterinary technology program and/or certified veterinary technician or eligible to sit for the VTNE.
2. Knowledge of animal care and nursing, especially critical care.
3. Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, and terminology.
4. Knowledge of the equipment and materials used and their availability and applications.
5. Ability to effectively maintain a working environment while in stressful situations.
6. Ability to effectively communicate with employees of various levels and responsibilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered for these positions, you must upload:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
This is a CARE position offering limited benefits, including health insurance and paid time off.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
Applications must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. of the posting end date.
This position has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply.
Health Assessment Required:
Must be able to lift up to fifty pounds.
Must be able to bend, kneel, pull, push, twist and stand for extended periods of time.
Advertised: 02 Nov 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 10 Nov 2021 Eastern Standard Time