Job no: 509990
Work type: Hourly
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Human Resources
Categories: Temporary Non-Benefited
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
University of Massachusetts Partnership for Worker Education is a joint educational partnership between the University (Division of Human Resources), AFSCME, USA/MTA, and PSU/MTA. The Instructor/ Case manager is responsible for a number of PWE computer, ESOL and Culinary Basics courses geared to culinary employees in the State as well as providing individualized assistance to our program’s participants.
- Participate in the research and development of program curricula
- Teach program courses In Spanish (Basic computers, Basic Culinary skills, Culinary English for the workplace)
- Evaluate those courses
- Participate in program recruitment efforts (information sessions)
- Provide guidance to culinary new hires (case management activities)
- Some traveling required
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably education or culinary school)
- Three (3) years of relevant experience (preferably in adult education, ESL education)
- Fluency in Spanish and English
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High level of personal responsibility
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Demonstrated familiarity with multicultural and multilingual work environments
- Familiarity with adult education, participatory education philosophy and practices
- Demonstrated curriculum development and assessment experience
- This is a temporary and non-benefited position
- Hours are part-time
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Sep 7 2021 Eastern Daylight Time