Postdoctoral Associate Location:
Gallaudet University Regular/Temporary:
Temporary Full/Part Time: Job ID:
Reporting to the Director of Center for Deaf Health Equity, the Postdoctoral Associate is designed for an emerging scholar committed to a research career in health disparities, health promotion and disease prevention, and/or COVID-related health disparities, with a focus on deaf and hard of hearing populations; provides support for NIH-funded projects; analyzes data from over 2000 deaf and hard of hearing adults, and co-produce publications and presentations.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:Participates in regular team meetings and leadership on dissemination activities.Assumes the administrative responsibility for a portfolio of projects that includes collaborators at multiple institutions; determines locations for recruitment, provides training to local and remote interviewers, and performs quality control on data obtained. Conducts project dissemination in the form of conference and journal papers, posters, and/or talks, independently and in collaboration with staff members and external collaborators; and writes and edits manuscripts at various stages of development.Works closely with faculty including the team biostatistician to interpret findings; works closely with programmers and data analysts in testing the usability of mobile health apps and other technology for use by deaf, deafblind, and hard of hearing people.Works closely with the team on drafting future grant proposals .Balances multiple competing projects effectively and efficiently.Co-directs and supervises research personnel. Establishes and maintains a positive and supportive working relationship with co-workers and supervisor.Shows a genuine commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and participates in activities and workshops to foster continuous learning.Serves as a mandatory reporter under Title IX; and commits to completing Title IX training and other compliance requirements on an annual basis.Performs related and other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications (When the candidate’s resume meets these qualifications, it will be screened in):
- Doctoral degree in Public Health or related field of study.
- A minimum of one year of experience or coursework in quantitative research, qualitative research methods, or community-engaged research.
- Fluency in scientific writing.
Preferred Qualifications (While not required, it is an advantage for what the position needs):
- Experience working with deaf or hard of hearing populations.
- Experience conducting research with human participants.
- Peer-reviewed publications and/or grant applications.
- Fluency in American Sign Language.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Qualities that will help the incumbent be more successful in the position):
- Familiarity with SPSS.
- Familiarity with deaf health-related research.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary research team and carry out tasks autonomously.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and across University departments, outside constituents and groups.
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
Other Important Information:
- This is an extended temporary position.
- The starting date for this position is immediate.
- This is an on-site position, with some remote work available upon ad hoc approval.
- This appointment is for up to three years, based in part on the availability of funding, organizational needs, and satisfactory performance.
- All employees are expected to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to submit their vaccination record prior to entering campus or by 45 days of employment, whichever is earlier.
Required Application Materials:
- A curriculum vitae.
- A cover letter (up to 2 pages) detailing the applicant’s Ph.D. graduation date, research interests and/or experience with deaf health research (community-based and/or clinical), COVID health disparity research or health promotion or disease prevention, career goals and how this position may contribute to those goals.
- A writing sample (e.g. publication or manuscript in review).
- Names and email addresses of two professional references.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The successful candidate will undergo a background check that must be cleared prior to working at Gallaudet University. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Gallaudet University is an equal opportunity employer/educational institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, national origin, religion, age, hearing status, disability, genetic information, covered veteran status, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, place of business or residence, pregnancy, childbirth, or any other unlawful basis. This policy is in compliance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the District of Columbia Human Rights Act, and other applicable laws and applies to all procedures affecting applicants and employees including, but not necessarily limited to: recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, reassignment, reappointment, tenure, demotion, selection for training, layoff, furlough, and termination, compensation, and all other conditions or privileges of employment.