Search #: 495593JOB SUMMARY
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Administrative Services
The University of Connecticut’s Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) seeks an International Services Specialist to provide administrative support for the University’s F and J visa programs. As a Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO), the International Services Specialist maintains accurate data in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and issues I-20 and DS-2019 forms to students and exchange visitors. The primary focus of the position is SEVIS data maintenance and compliance but may also include other administrative and program support responsibilities. The International Services Specialist works as part of an administrative support and data maintenance team, under the general supervision of the Director of International Student and Scholar Services.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews applications initiated by students and exchange visitors for accuracy, completeness, and eligibility under federal visa regulations and University policies; processes Forms I-20/DS-2019 for incoming international students and exchange visitors, OPT employment updates and validation reports, personal information and program updates, SEVIS registration and departure updates.
- Reviews, assesses, and updates system-generated record and information changes to SEVIS, to maintain compliance with federal student and exchange visitor SEVIS reporting requirements.
- Communicates important information and reminders to international students, visiting scholars, and academic departments to support visa compliance and SEVIS data maintenance initiatives.
- Serves as a resource to students, staff, faculty, and others on administrative procedures related to the request and issuance of forms I-20 and DS-2019, OPT employment updates, address updates, end of program procedures, and other required SEVIS reporting.
- Participates and provides logistical support for ISSS cultural programs and student support services.
- Provides backup support to cover the ISSS front desk, which requires basic knowledge of reception and customer service responsibilities.
- Performs related work or completes projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and two years of experience in administrative support. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted for the degree and years requirement.
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to analyze information to independently resolve problems.
- Experience with MS Office applications.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent residency is required for DSO/ARO designation.
- Professional experience with matters related to regulatory compliance.
- Cross-cultural communication skills.
- Experience working with PeopleSoft, Terra Dotta Software, or SEVIS.
This is a full-time position with a 9:00 am-5:00 pm work schedule. The position may require occasional evening or weekend work hours. The University offers outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment at the University of Connecticut is contingent upon the successful candidate’s compliance with the University’s Mandatory Workforce COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. This Policy states that all workforce members are required to have or obtain a Covid-19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment at UConn, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.TO APPLY
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs
, Staff Positions, Search #495593 to upload a resume, cover letter,
and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on September 23, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Sep 02 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Sep 23 2021 Eastern Daylight Time