What We Do
Outlier.org (from the co-founder of MasterClass) is reimagining higher education as a resource that is accessible, equitable, and affordable for everyone. We have developed the world's best online, for-credit university-level courses, taught by some of the most celebrated educators in the world. Our courses employ cinematic content powered by cutting-edge cognitive science to create an immersive, student-friendly learning experience that delivers game-changing student success levels. We are a quickly-growing team working on a dual mission: Increase access to quality college education and dramatically reduce student debt.
Who We Are
Outliers are kind, curious, competent, creative, and resourceful. We are a passionate multidisciplinary team working to increase access to quality education for everyone. We believe in using the scientific method and evidence-based conclusions. We respect intuition and art. We give credit where credit is due. We hold one another to high standards. We value constructive feedback. We love to try new things. We take our work seriously, not ourselves. We work hard and go above-and-beyond to ensure great student outcomes and we strongly believe in taking care of ourselves and making sure we stay healthy to continue to pursue our mission as best we can.
Are you an Outlier?
About the Role
We’re looking for a driven, entrepreneurial Enrollment Lead to stand up an inside sales function and help shape the future of how Outlier.org will engage and serve prospective students. Specifically, this role will partner closely with our Marketing, Student Success, and Partnerships teams to test, iterate and scale an effective lead capture and nurture strategy with our mission of increasing access to quality education and reducing student debt at the forefront. As a leader within our growing Student Success function, you will be tasked with building a playbook and team that is focused on delivering high-value consultative support for prospective students and successful enrollment outcomes for Outlier.org at a critical time in the company’s trajectory.
This role reports to the VP of Student Success and is a remote, full-time position.
What You’ll Do
- Develop an inbound sales strategy and playbook: think critically and creatively about our pipeline of prospective Outlier students, creating systems and strategies that deliver personalized value, delight, and recommendations at scale across various communication channels (email, chat, SMS, phone)
- Manage and grow a high-functioning, personable and metrics-driven team of Enrollment Specialists: serve as a player-coach to start by getting in front of students and developing effective, scalable scripts and processes
- Partner with Marketing, Student Success, and Partnerships on lead capture and nurture initiatives: continuously test approaches to help grow/qualify our funnel and seamlessly move prospective students through each phase of the evaluation process
- Become an expert in Outlier’s value proposition: exhibit a strong learning orientation towards higher education and constantly strive to better understand student goals and pathways (and how Outlier can support them)
- Partner with fellow Student Success team members to develop a keen understanding of the post-sale student journey, accurately representing expectations and best practices to those evaluating Outlier course(s)
- Evaluate and advise on the intersection between automated and human support to ensure an informative, personalized experience for the prospective student and ROI for Outlier as the business scales
- Ensure the ongoing capture and analysis of relevant lead information: develop both a short- and long-term tech stack recommendation (e.g., CRM software, communication channels, etc.)
- Determine if and how select prospective students are candidates for more formal academic advising: develop a process to detect, recommend and provide referral/handoff where appropriate
- Work cross-functionally to refine and iterate on Outlier student archetypes: identify and mine for high-quality attributes and tailor engagement efforts by what we know about prospective students’ academic goals, motivations, and learning styles
Who You Are
- 3+ years of proven sales and/or recruitment experience in a fast-paced, high-velocity environment
- Ed-tech experience a major PLUS
- Higher ed experience not required - if the background is exclusively higher ed, must reflect high volume admissions
- 1+ years of people management experience with a strong track record of screening, hiring, and developing top talent
- Excellent internal and external communicator with strong interpersonal skills - able to establish trust and rapport with students as well as Outlier peers
- Comfortable working independently and through ambiguity - you are operationally rigorous and results-oriented, but can be scrappy until value has been proven
- Data-savvy with the ability to design, execute, measure, and iterate a variety of concurrent tests
- A continuous learner tuned into evolving trends and best practices of the industries you serve (sales, ed-tech, higher ed)
- Passionate about Outlier’s mission and able to translate this to every student-facing interaction
- Kind, curious, and collaborative
- Expert in CRM software, GSuite and Zendesk (or equivalent CX tool)
- Experience with Segment and ActiveCampaign a plus
Please note: Outlier.org hopes to recruit and advance qualified minorities, women, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and veterans, among others—we welcome and encourage all applicants. One of Outlier.org’s goals is for our team and culture to reflect the diverse student populations we serve. We remain committed to recognizing the best talent wherever it may be.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Outlier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, layoff, termination, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, and benefits.