What We Do
Outlier.org (from the co-founder of MasterClass) is reimagining higher education as a resource that is accessible, equitable, and affordable for everyone. We have developed the world's best online, for-credit university-level courses, taught by some of the most celebrated educators in the world. Our courses employ cinematic content powered by cutting-edge cognitive science to create an immersive, student-friendly learning experience that delivers game-changing student success levels. We are a quickly-growing team working on a dual mission: Increase access to quality college education and dramatically reduce student debt.
Who We Are
Outliers are kind, curious, competent, creative, and resourceful. We are a passionate multidisciplinary team working to increase access to quality education for everyone. We believe in using the scientific method and evidence-based conclusions. We respect intuition and art. We give credit where credit is due. We hold one another to high standards. We value constructive feedback. We love to try new things. We take our work seriously, not ourselves. We work hard and go above-and-beyond to ensure great student outcomes and we strongly believe in taking care of ourselves and making sure we stay healthy to continue to pursue our mission as best we can.
Are you an Outlier?
We’re looking for a vibrant, strategic Community Lead to pioneer and scale community engagement efforts with Outlier students, alumni, and the broader academic community. As a leader within the growing Student Success function, you will be tasked with re-imagining the traditional student campus experience in an immersive online setting. Through innovative peer-to-peer engagement, orientation activities, discussion channels, student groups, and virtual events, students will feel a sense of accountability to remain in their courses and evangelize the Outlier experience to others. This is a unique opportunity to redefine the college experience for millions of online students.
This role reports to the VP of Student Success and is a remote, full-time position.
What You’ll Do
- Bring vision, expertise, ingenuity, and scrappiness to building best-in-class, scaleable community experiences to Outlier’s current student and alumni network: help drive positive student outcomes by making the online learning experience social, collaborative, and empowering
- Establish a roadmap for building the Outlier community ecosystem: define goals, evaluate tech stack and build infrastructure for ongoing engagement, flawless communication systems, and data-tracking oriented for growth and scale
- Design experiences and meaningful opportunities for ongoing and serendipitous connections among current and former Outlier students
- Provide cross-functional insight and partnership with the Marketing, Student Success, Enrollment, and Product teams
- Design and test experiences and meaningful opportunities for ongoing and serendipitous connections among Outlier students, measuring qualitative and quantitative effectiveness and impact on related business outcomes
- Redefine student-led peer support and programming
- Define and develop tailored strategies for different student segments: audits, enrolled students seeking college credit, alumni, etc.
Who You Are
- 2+ years experience in a community-focused role with a proven track record of building and scaling high-volume communities (experience with academic and/or online communities a major PLUS)
- Expert in cutting-edge community tools and strategies - a constant “consumer” of community in both your personal and professional spheres
- Warm “camp counselor” persona with the ability to establish credibility and rapport with our diverse student population
- Impeccable social and interpersonal skills that shine through across a variety of communication channels (email, social media, phone, video conferencing)
- Data-savvy with the ability to design, execute, measure, and iterate a variety of concurrent tests
- Bias for action and learning, unafraid to roll up your sleeves and execute to help refine your long term vision
- Passionate about Outlier’s mission and able to translate this to every student-facing interaction
- Kind, curious, and collaborative
Benefits include stock options, health, vision, dental; engaging and supportive coworkers, and competitive salary.
Please note: Outlier.org hopes to recruit and advance qualified minorities, women, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and veterans, among others—we welcome and encourage all applicants. One of Outlier.org’s goals is for our team and culture to reflect the diverse student populations we serve. We remain committed to recognizing the best talent wherever it may be.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Outlier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, layoff, termination, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, and benefits.