Police Sergeant Location:
Augusta University Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Required Qualifications High school diploma, GED, or equivalent from a state or federal accrediting organization
POST certified Police Officer with two years' of experience as a Police Officer
Must be at least 21 years of age
Must have first aid skills and possess moral and ethical character
A valid driver's license is required.Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, to keep complex records, and the ability to perform well under stress in a calm, efficient manner
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Knowledge of needed tools and techniques appropriate to identify, analyze, and solve technical problems
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software/databases
- Project management skills
- Technical knowledge and skills in computer systems, with the preferred ability to maintain computer systems relating to access and security controls, digital video systems, web base and other related computer applications
Preferred Qualifications Knowledge of Federal Communication's Rules and Regulations
One year supervisory experience and an Assocate's degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent experienceResponsibilities First line supervisor for the patrol officers and the assistant to the Lieutenant for coordinating the operations of the patrol shift. Performs same law enforcement duties as a patrol officer. Daily reviews of the performance of the patrol officers are performing their tasks correctly, and department policies and procedures are followed. Instructing, coordinating, and maintaining training for all officers on the assigned shift are also key tasks for this position. Interaction with the Augusta Community, the AU community and other Public Safety personnel on a daily basis are fundamental to the quality of service provided by this position. The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Reviews and daily approves written incident reports regarding crimes and calls for service with 100% accuracy
- Performs annual, monthly, weekly, and daily assessments of the performance of officers and prepares written evaluation reports regarding their progress with 100% accuracy
- Reviews, maintains and prepares shift training records within 95% accuracy
- Performs the duties of a police (peace) officer as necessary with 95% accuracy. Prepares written incident reports regarding crimes and services with 100% accuracy
- Monitors and reviews the activities of the patrol officers by performing the necessary supervisory functions. Responsible for directing and instructing officer while at accident scenes, during incidents in progress, and during patrol investigations. Responsible for communicating directives from the Lieutenant and other higher ranking officers to the patrol officers. Responsible for communicating the complaints and weaknesses of the patrol officers to determine training needs and for performance evaluation purposes. Reports violations of departmental policies and procedures, institutional procedures, and legal procedures to the Lieutenant. Recommends corrective actions.
- Responsible for making all appropriate emergency notifications using Jagwire Alert for emergency situations as directed by the event, by Senior University Officials or by policies and procedures of the University. If the Sergeant is the ranking individual on the scene, the Sergeant is responsible for making decisions in emergency situations to protect the lives and property of students, faculty, staff, visitors, patients, and police personnel.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Shift/Salary Shift: 12 Hour; Rotating Shifts (Rotating every 2 weeks); Required to work outside normal business hours. Pay Grade: 16 Salary: $20.12/Hourly Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position Recruitment Period: 9/2/21 - Until FilledConditions of Employment All candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University. All employees are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of sensitive [patient, student, employee, financial, business, etc.] information by exercising sound judgment and adhering to cybersecurity and privacy policies during the course of their employment and beyond.Public Safety Statement Per Georgia POST (Police Officers Standards and Training) requirements, this position will have access to sensitive information and will require a satisfactory consumer credit check as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Opportunity Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans.Credit Check This position will require the acquisition of a P-Card and/or handle cash, credit or other sensitive information and will require a satisfactory Consumer Credit check as a condition of employment.Other Information This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. “Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success.”Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.