Department Head and Associate/Full Professor Location:
UNG-Dahlonega, GA Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Department Information The Department of Kinesiology (DOK), housed in the College of Education (COE), offers associate, baccalaureate, and graduate degrees through its 20 full-time faculty as well as part-time faculty who serve approximately 600 students. The science-based and diverse kinesiology curricula prepares students interested in a career in the fitness industry, the field of strength and conditioning, cardiac rehabilitation, other exercise-related professions, or K-12 teaching. Our programs also prepare students for entry into graduate school including, but not limited to, athletic training, exercise physiology, strength and conditioning, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and physician assistant programs. Job Summary
The Department of Kinesiology in the College of Education at the University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for the positon of department head and associate/full professor. The successful candidate will provide vision and leadership for the faculty members in the department and should have teaching, research, and leadership experience in kinesiology or a related field. The start date is August 1, 2022, and the position is a 12-month appointment.
- Lead the department in continuing to build its reputation within and outside the College of Education and the University of North Georgia;
- Serve as a member of the College of Education Leadership Team;
- Supervise, mentor, and interact with the Assistant/Associate Department Head of the Department of Kinesiology (DOK) and the administrative assistant to the DOK;
- Teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses in the department based on expertise;
- Guide the department in the maintenance of accreditation requirements (i.e., CAEP, CAATE, SACSCOC);
- Assist faculty in engaging in research and scholarly activity within the discipline and engaging in professional activities in the academic community;
- Guide the department through curricular review and modifications, including submitting curricular revisions approved by the department, tracking the proposals through the college and university process, and ensuring the UNG catalogue is updated accurately when approved by the institution;
- Assign courses to faculty and ensure timely submission of course schedule each semester;
- Guide recruitment and retention for the department;
- Supervise faculty, including hiring, completing annual reviews, guiding faculty through promotion and tenure, and managing issues as they emerge;
- Review and revise of policies and procedures as needed;
- eview and maintain accurate information on the website and in academic catalogues;
- Manage student and faculty issues as they emerge; and
- Engage in other duties as assigned by the dean.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching and learning practices;
- Knowledge of theoretical and applied concepts of exercise science, health and fitness, health and physical education, sports medicine, and/or athletic training education;
- Ability to conduct and publish academic research, including grant work;
- Ability to develop relationships with employers and community stakeholders;
- Record of successfully mentoring faculty;
- Record of success in leadership role(s); and
- Passion for working with students, faculty, and staff to develop their skills and expertise.
- A terminal degree in Kinesiology or a related field is required .
- Record of teaching excellence, quality research, and engagement in Kinesiology or a related field.
- Record of leadership in Kinesiology or a related field.
- Academic record that warrants the awarding of tenure at UNG.
- Previous administrative experience in academia.
- Experience with accreditation (i.e., SACSCOC, CAEP, CAATE) or other organizations, especially ones associated with Athletic Training, the Exercise Sciences, Physical Education, and/or Strength and Conditioning.
- Experience with writing successful grant applications.
Required Documents to Attach
Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Cover Letter, Unofficial Transcripts
Diversity Statement: Required for the College of EducationIn order to support the University of North Georgia’s mission to prepare students who can be leaders in a diverse and global society, the College of Education strives to create an inclusive and socially just environment in which students, staff, and faculty are challenged to respect diverse backgrounds, experiences, and differing perspectives as strengths in the development of an academic environment that promotes equity, ensures access, and supports personal growth. Moreover, the College of Education seeks to establish community partnerships in which students, teachers, faculty, and staff can support diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives (https://ung.edu/college-of-education/diversity-initiatives.php).In a page (Additional Document), please explain how your work experiences or efforts embody this mission and how you might continue to strengthen this mission.
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with the University of North Georgia, as determined by University of North Georgia in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
- This role is considered a position of trust.
Special Applicant Instructions
- If you received any graduate degrees from an institution outside the United States, you must provide a foreign course-by-course credential evaluation by an independent evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES). Find a full list of NACES members at http://www.naces.org/members.htm.
- Please submit contact information for three professional references.