Assistant Professor - Exercise SciencePosting Number:
Assistant ProfessorClassification Code:
8003RCW Exemption Criteria:
10 - Academic PersonnelEWU Position Number:
26.09 - Physiology, Pathology & RelatedFLSA:
Exempt - TeachingBargaining Unit :
UFE% Full Time:
100Salary / Wage Range:
Position paid at CUPA salary average $73,171.Anticipated Start Date:
9/16/22Term of Appointment:
9 months per academic year, mid-September through mid-JuneLocation:
Yes - BothLevel 1 User with Access:
Amy ShaddResponsible HR User:
Caren LincolnResponsible HR User Email address:
[email protected]Job Summary:
Eastern Washington University invites applications for a full-time, tenure track Assistant Professor of Exercise Science with a start date of September 2022.About Eastern Washington University:
The Assistant Professor of Exercise Science will teach undergraduate and graduate courses in exercise physiology, physical education, and public health programs and other related areas. Courses could include EXSC 301-Intro to Exercise Science, EXSC 455-Research & Analysis, EXSC 481-EKG Interpretation, EXSC 388-Exercise Science Practicums, EXSC 488-Exercise Science Professional Internships, PHED 251-Motor Control & Learning, PHED 350-Physiological Kinesiology, HLED 372-Applied Nutrition, HLED 374-Introduction to Epidemiology, PHED 505-Current Issues and Ethics, PHED 519-Statistics In Physical Education, PHED 555-Advanced Physiology of Exercise, PHED 556-Advanced Clinical Exercise Physiology, PHED 600-Thesis, PHED 602-Comprehensive Prep, PHED 696-College Teaching Internship, and other courses as assigned in the College of Health Science and Public Health.
Develop coursework in exercise physiology, physical education, and public health programs and other related areas.
Advise undergraduate exercise science majors and supervise graduate student research.
Research in Exercise Science, seek extramural funding for research or programs, and active professional involvement in the field of exercise science.
Teach face-to-face classes, hybrid or blended classes and/or online classes according to the needs of the Department.
Work with a diverse student population.
Position may include additional duties that utilize the required skills.
Candidate must also demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and diversity.
Screening will begin immediately and will continue through November 2, 2021. All materials will be held in strictest confidence.
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney and Spokane, Washington, with programs offered throughout the state and online with an enrollment of over 12,000 students. Eastern is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington reporting to its own Board of Trustees.Diversity Statement:
Eastern’s 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 11,000 residents 16 miles southwest of the state’s second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the Brand new Catalyst building and on the Riverpoint Campus which is shared with Washington State University. Eastern also offers program throughout the state based on the needs of the community. Eastern offers an array of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and one applied doctorate in physical therapy. EWU offers 135 fields of study, 9 master’s degrees, 12 graduate certificates, 39 graduate programs, 1 educational specialist degree, and 1 applied doctorate to more than 10,000 enrolled students.
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS: Eastern strives to satisfy all requests for special access needs for persons with disabilities. Requests for such accommodations are welcome and may be made by calling Human Resources at (509) 359-2381.
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment and showing proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. pursuant to U.S. immigration laws.Physical Demands :
All new employees must comply with EWU immunization Policy 602-02 and provide proof of immunity or vaccination to MMR and proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before beginning work at EWU. Waivers for the immunization requirements are available for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs.
NonePre-Placement Physical :
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
- Requires a PhD in Education, with specialization in Health & Human Science, or a closely related field and two (2) years of experience as a Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant, or Temporary Instructor for an Education (Health & Human Science) related field. Experience must include:
- Undergraduate-level teaching experience in Exercise Science and related courses, including Introduction to Exercise Science, Research and Analysis, Physiological Kinesiology, Motor Control and Learning, and ECG Interpretation and Cardiac Rehabilitation, or similar coursework;
- Advising and mentoring undergraduate students in exercise science for diverse career development, including physical therapy, occupational therapy, and athletic training
- Evidence of scholarly research and publications relevant to the field of exercise science such as, but not limited to, clinical aspects of exercise physiology, applications of physical activity across diverse populations, physical activity and health from a public health perspective, or human performance research; and
- Prior successful work with a diverse student population.
Work Schedule Type:
- Will accept paid or unpaid internship, research or co-op experience gained during academic studies.
Schedule will vary quarter to quarter to fulfill position’s responsibility.Posting Date:
09/03/2021Open Until Further Notice:
11/02/2021Screening to Begin:
Screening to being immedidatelySpecial Instructions to Applicants:
To be considered for this opportunity, submit your application materials through our online faculty application portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu. Additional information about the department can be found at https://www.ewu.edu/chsph/wellness-movement-sciences/.
Required application materials include all of the following items listed below.
- Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume – include a list of three references (names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses) who will be sending a letter of reference on your behalf on the last page of your CV
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Statement of research interests
- University-level transcripts (unofficial copies) – scan these together, and attach as one document
- Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.