Job no: 504573
Work type: Non-Instructional Faculty (Coach/Counselor/Librarian)
Location: Dominguez Hills
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Temporary, Full Time, Librarian (Non-instructional Faculty)
Temporary Faculty Pool
Department of Reference, Instruction & Outreach Services (RIOS)
College of University Library
The Reference, Instruction & Outreach Services (RIOS) Department at California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH), invites highly qualified, motivated, and well-organized applicants for a pool of full-time librarian appointments.
At CSUDH, we celebrate and respect diversity in all forms that include every race, religion, gender, ethnicity, veterans, people with varied abilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. CSUDH is seeking applications from candidates who can demonstrate experience in teaching and working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and contribute to the University's mission, vision, and core values.
For more information: Mission, Vision, and Core Values
The University Library fosters student success, scholarly research, and academic excellence through the provision of information resources; user-centered services and learning experiences; and welcoming, technology-enhanced environments that facilitate lifelong learning, collaboration, innovation, and the acquisition of information literacy skills.
For more information: https://www.csudh.edu/library/
The faculty of the University Library at California State University Dominguez Hills invites applications for full-time temporary librarian positions in the University Library's Reference, Instruction, and Outreach Services (RIOS) department. The temporary faculty pool is continuously open, and positions are filled as needed based on funding. Candidates may need to be available to begin in a position on short notice.
The ideal candidate will have enthusiasm for working with students and faculty to meet their research and instructional needs. As a member of the Research, Instruction, and Outreach Services Department (RIOS), the incumbent will have reference and general instruction duties.
The successful candidate will
- Effectively provide research help through general reference services including instant message chat, phone, email, in-person, and research consultations
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials for information literacy instruction to general education (GE) courses in a variety of disciplines
- Develop and edit research guides as needed
- Teach within the library's information literacy program, including in-person instruction and online tutorials in a variety of disciplines
- Conduct outreach to new students and other university community populations as part of the RIOS team
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution or an international equivalent, by the time of appointment
- Ability to effectively participate in the areas of research consultation, instruction, and outreach
- Applied knowledge of the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education
- Strong problem-solving skills and commitment to continuous learning
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities and to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to carry out complex projects in a rapidly changing environment
- Evidence of a commitment to social justice, diversity, anti-racism, and inclusion in library practice
- Demonstrated knowledge of Springshare products such as LibGuides, LibChat, and LibWizard
- Experience providing reference services and research help both in-person and via chat
- Experience teaching using active learning methods
Employment Requirement – Background Check
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Mandated Reporter per CANRA
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment.
How to Apply- To apply for this position, please click the "Apply Now" button on this page.
A complete application is required and must include:Current Curriculum Vitae or Resume with contact informationA Cover LetterStatement on diversity, equity, and inclusion in academic librariesUnofficial transcripts (an official transcript will be required upon initial appointment)
For international transcripts, a United States Equivalency certification will be required.
A United States (US) Equivalency certification is required for earned/awarded/conferred foreign terminal degrees, which is from a foreign Academic Institution for foreign studies. The US Equivalency certification is used to validate foreign studies from an academic credential evaluation agency and is evaluated on foreign studies and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from the United States. The certification must translate the information in English and confirm that your highest terminal degree is US Equivalent to a US terminal degree (i.e., Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate's, Doctor's of Philosophy). The certification can be emailed to [email protected] or mailed directly to the Office of Faculty Affairs and Development, 1000 East Victoria Street, WH-368, Carson, CA 90747.
California State University Dominguez Hills is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
For more information: U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may call the CSU Dominguez Hills Human Resources Office (310) 243-3771.
Clery Act crime statistics for CSUDH are available at Campus Security Report (Clery) or by calling University Police at (310) 243-3639.
Upon appointment, all candidates must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
The California State University is Smoke and Tobacco-Free. Smoking, Vaping, and other Tobacco use are Not Permitted anywhere on University property. Education Code 42356, CCR Title 5, Article 9.
For more information, see: Smoke & Tobacco-Free
Advertised: 01 Sep 2021 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: 30 Jun 2022 Pacific Daylight Time