Deputy Chief, Police Dept.
Target Hire Date
09/30/2021 - 29 days to goJoin our community and experience Emerson College!
Under the general supervision of the Chief, the Deputy Chief assists the Chief in accomplishing the Department's overall mission to provide a safe and secure environment for the Emerson Community. The Deputy Chief manages the department's day-to-day operation and supervises the three-shift Lieutenants three sergeants,, fourteen officers, one Detective, and four civilian staff. The Deputy Chief oversees the department's $5,250,000.00 budget to include salaries, direct expenses, and capital equipment. The Deputy Chief is responsible for evidence control and disciplinary actions and records maintenance. The Deputy Chief enforces department orders, state laws, and provides leadership and supervision to all the members of the department.
The Deputy Chief facilitates clear and positive communications between department members and senior management, mentors subordinates, prepares and delivers employee performance evaluations, directs Department operations on all shifts.Your Manager
: Emerson Police ChiefYour Key Responsibilities
Your Skills and Experience
- Manage departmental operations, directing and prioritizing the work activities of all assigned personnel under their command.
- Oversee the department's budget, managing purchases, and reviewing all expenses.
- Respond to calls of serious emergencies, felonies, and other major incidents unless already actively engaged in another similarly serious incident.
- Serve as a positive role model/mentor to subordinates and peers while promoting the department's mission, goals, and objectives.
- Ensure the fair and equitable treatment of all department members while actively noting the performance of department members, and providing guidance and recognition as necessary.
- Establish that department members adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct.
- Demonstrate sound judgment/discretion, and possess the ability to properly interpret.
- Apply department policies, laws, and orders when defusing potentially volatile situations or resolving a wide range of potential problems with due regard for the safety of all involved.
- Respond to community complaints, assign investigation and recommend appropriate discipline when necessary.
- Recommend and implement department changes to address public safety concerns.
- Proactively assist the Chief with recommendations when establishing new policies and procedures to improve department operations or prevent potential problems or issues.
- Serve as department liaison, and the Chiefs representative to other college departments and public safety partners (Boston Police, Fire, & EMS).
- Implement, supervise, and assist as necessary with the College's emergency preparedness plan in responding to disasters and other major incidents to include notifying the Chief and administrators, implement the Incident Command System (ICS), and coordinating mutual aid response and the assignment of personnel. Complete additional duties as assigned by the Chief.
Nice to have
- Ten years of policing supervisory experience, preferably in a campus setting.
- Ability to obtain a valid Massachusetts motor vehicle operator's license and the ability to be insured by the College's automobile liability insurer.
- Applicants are preferred to be graduates of a full-time police recruit training academy certified by the Massachusetts Criminal Justice Training Council (MPTC) or the Massachusetts State Police (MSP) Academy for campus police officers.
- Graduation from an out-of-state academy or a Massachusetts Reserve Intermittent Training Academy is acceptable but the applicant will be required to complete a full-time police recruit training academy certified by the MPTC within one year of appointment.
- Successful completion of annual fitness for duty assessment; including a background investigation, a psychological evaluation, and a medical release.
Applicants must meet the State Police requirements for obtaining Special State Police Officer Warrant as listed in 515 CMR 5.04: “General Standards for Appointment”. Applicants must not be less than 19 years of age. Applicants must be a United States citizen, and an employee of an agency described in M.G.L. c. 22C, s56 through 68.”Physical Requirements:
- Possess and demonstrate ethical behavior and integrity
- Ability to complete assigned duties
- Ability to utilize sound judgment and engage in problem-solving
- Ability to multi-task, be resourceful, and show initiative
- Ability to provide analytical and critical thinking
- Ability to demonstrate organizational and time management skills
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with all members of a culturally diverse institution
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to remain on feet for extended periods, stoop, kneel, crouch, lift, carry, push, pull, and climb stairs, balance, walk, and run
- Must be able to access all facilities, on foot, to respond to emergency calls for service to include the upper-most floors of campus buildings when elevators are not available
- Must be able to conduct visual surveillance of individuals and surroundings
- Must be able to operate Department equipment
- Work includes exposure to elements, severe weather/ temperatures and loud noises
- Work environment can expose one to hazards and physical risks to personal safety
- Must be physically fit and able to defend community members and one's self from attack or physical assault
- Must be able to wear the required uniform
- Must be able to work different shifts, including weekends, holidays, and overtime shifts as required
- Usual Office Conditions
- Intellectual and mental concentration and the need to concentrate, intellectually, for extended periods of time - N/A
- Requires the constant coordination of mental and visual attention - N/A
- Requires the ability to stand and/or sit for long periods of time - N/A
- Required to move/lift objects that are - Moderate
- Required to move/life objects - Occasionally
- Travel? - Some but Infrequent
Grade of Position: A19E
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 36.25
Hiring Range: $105,550.00 - $111,000.00
To apply, please visit: https://emerson.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Emerson_College_Staff/job/Boston-Campus/Deputy-Chief--Police-Dept_JR003125
Emerson College is the nation’s only four-year institution dedicated exclusively to majors in communication and the arts in a liberal arts context. Its main campus is located in the center of the dynamic multicultural city of Boston, in close proximity to major publishing houses, arts institutions, and research centers. The college also has campuses in Los Angeles and the Netherlands. Emerson College enrolls over 4,300 graduate and undergraduate students from more than 70 countries and all 50 states.Diversity Statement
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society. Emerson College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender in its educational programs or activities. Emerson has designated the Associate Vice President, Title IX, and Clery Coordinator to respond to inquiries regarding the College Sexual Misconduct Policy. The Title IX Coordinator may be reached at 8 Park Plaza, Transportation Bldg, Room 230 Boston, MA 02116; Telephone: 617-824-8999; email: [email protected]Annual Clery Report
In accordance with the federal Clery and Campus SaVE Acts, Emerson College commits to providing all current and prospective students and employees with access to the annual campus security reports for each of our campuses. This report may be accessed from the Emerson College Police Department website
Information on Emerson College staff grade range
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency