Ed.D. Leadership Program Lecturer Pool
- San José State University
- San José
- Faculty Jobs
- Arts & Humanities, Ethnic & Cultural Studies, Education, Educational Administration & Leadership
- Employment Type
- Part Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Job no: 497591
Work type: Instructional Faculty - Temporary/Lecturer
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Temporary, Part Time, Faculty - Education/Library Science
The Ed.D. Leadership Program at San José State University prepares the next generation of leaders with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary to understand the causes of inequitable outcomes in P-16 educational institutions. Students in this program are also simultaneously prepared to assess pedagogies, practices, policies, and curricula that hold the potential to improve the life chances of minoritized students.
Brief Description of Duties
We invite applications for a pool of part-time lecturers, should an opening arise, to teach doctoral courses in the Ed.D. Leadership Program at San Jose State University. The number of positions varies from semester to semester, depending on the needs of the Department. The pool will remain in place for two calendar years; those interested in remaining in the pool beyond that time must reapply. We are seeking outstanding lecturers who can teach students in a cohort-based program. Teaching areas include contexts for education leadership and schooling, research methodology, organizational behavior and adult learning, and educational theory and practice.
Positions start at the beginning of a semester and appointments may be renewed based on department need, funding, and performance.
- Must hold a Ph.D. or Ed.D. in the Social Science, in the Humanities, or in Education.
- Knowledge of the subject matter of the discipline to which the individual is assigned.
- Must hold the potential to or have a demonstrated record of published scholarship.
- Must have ability to work with and evaluate adult learners. Evidence of satisfactory achievement in previous academic work.
- Demonstrated potential for teaching excellence at the doctoral level.
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
- Candidates must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
- All Faculty should be organizing their classes within the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS), the official LMS provided for the SJSU community. All classes at SJSU, whether online or not, must be anchored in the Canvas platform to ensure faculty-student connection in a common space as all students are directed to log in to Canvas for online access to their classes. You will have access to this system prior to the semester start date.
- Teaching experience at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Experience in teaching in both face-to-face and web-based delivery systems.
- A commitment to the elimination of educational disparities impacting minoritized students and communities.
- Applicants with expertise in areas that will strengthen or closely complement the academic areas of the existing faculty in the EdD. Leadership Program are welcome.
Please be advised that an appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association. These provisions state the “Order of Work,” or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.
Salary Range – To commensurate with experience.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Expertise, including professional experience, courses you are qualified to teach
- List of References
This serves to create a pool of applicants for lecturer positions. We review applications on a rolling basis as teaching positions open. Closing date is Nov 2, 2022.
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked fifth nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Advertised: September 21, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled
Welcome to San José State University!
San José State University is a major, comprehensive public university located in the center of San José and in the heart of Silicon Valley. SJSU is the oldest state university in California. Its distinctive character has been forged by its long history, by its location, and by its vision - a blend of the old and the new, of the traditional and the innovative. Among its most prized traditions is an uncompromising commitment to offer access to higher education to all persons who meet the criteria for admission, yielding a stimulating mix of age groups, cultures, and economic backgrounds for teaching, learning, and research. SJSU takes pride in and is firmly committed to teaching and learning, with a faculty that is active in scholarship, research, technological innovation, community service, and the arts.
Located on 154 acres in downtown San José, the university offers the excitement of studying at a large, metropolitan campus where many cultures meet. Yet students find personal attention from faculty members in the smaller setting of the university's eight colleges.
In collaboration with nearby industries and communities, this faculty and staff is dedicated to achieving the University's mission as a responsive institution of the State of California.
To enrich the lives of its students, to transmit knowledge to its students along with the necessary skills for applying it in the service of our society, and to expand the base of knowledge through research and scholarship.
Leadership at SJSU
Leadership at San Jose State is defined by a belief that shared decision making and collaborative university governance is at the core of our culture. With this inclusive approach as a guide, President Mohammad H. Qayoumi and the university's leadership promote discussion and engagement among faculty, staff, students and the community to shape and accomplish the goals of San Jose State.
California State University System
San Jose State is one of 23 campuses within the California State University System, the largest, the most diverse, and one of the most affordable university systems in the country. The 25-member CSU Board of Trustees is responsible for the oversight of the California State University system. See the California State University, Office of the Chancellor website for more information.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert