Job no: 498212
Work type: Instructional Faculty - Temporary/Lecturer
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Temporary, Part Time, Faculty - Health Sciences
The Department of Nutrition, Food Science, and Packaging at San José State University (SJSU) is looking for qualified, enthusiastic, and dedicated instructors to teach courses in our BS in Nutritional Science and our MS in Nutritional Science programs (both the On-Campus and the Online/Hybrid courses).
The Department of Nutrition, Food Science, and Packaging trains graduates for rewarding careers in settings as diverse as community organizations, educational institutions, hospitals, nutrition and research laboratories, corporations and government agencies. The first nutrition department in the California State University system, our department traces its roots to 1911. We currently offer a master's degree in nutritional science and two undergraduate degrees in the field: a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutritional Science with three concentrations: Dietetics, Applied Nutrition and Food Sciences, and Food Management and a BS degree in Packaging. Our Dietetics program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and qualifying our students to apply for ACEND accredited internships and to work toward becoming registered dietitians.
Please visit the Department of Nutrition, Food Science, and Packaging website at https://www.sjsu.edu/nufspkg/ and the SJSU catalog at https://catalog.sjsu.edu/ for more details about our programs and curriculum.
Brief Description of Duties
Lecturers are responsible for effective curriculum preparation and teaching of courses in alignment with our Department’s vision and mission and the focus on applied research and serving multicultural populations, syllabus and accessibility compliance, use of Canvas as the primary learning management system, review and grading of assignments and work, holding office hours, texts and readings, overall support of student learning and professional development, and working collaboratively with faculty and staff to promote student success. Lecturers will also support activities and preparation needed to maintain accreditation.
Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
All Faculty should be organizing their classes within the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS), the official LMS provided for the SJSU community. All classes at SJSU, whether online or not, must be anchored in the Canvas platform to ensure faculty-student connection in a common space as all students are directed to log in to Canvas for online access to their classes. You will have access to this system prior to the semester start date.
There are four lecturer levels or ranks according to degrees earned and/or years of teaching experience:
- Lecturer A (LA), a minimum of a bachelor's degree and 2 years of professional experience are required.
- Lecturer B (LB), a minimum of a Master’s degree with at least 4 years of professional work experience.
- Lecturer C (LC), a Doctorate degree or a Master’s degree with 5 years of professional work experience.
- Lecturer D (LD), a Doctorate degree with 10 years professional work experiences.
In addition, required qualifications include:
- Knowledge of the subject matter of the discipline to which the individual is assigned;
- Evidence of effective teaching and mentoring;
- Ability to teach and evaluate effectively adult learners;
- Nutrition practice experience or Packaging Professional Practice (required for teaching practice courses);
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to be collegial and collaborative;
- Good communication skills (written and oral)
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
- Master’s degree
- Registered Dietitian preferred but not required – Nutrition only
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the trends in the nutrition profession in the context of diversity and globalization, including specializations with certain cultural and/or language groups;
- Ability to teach in online and in-person formats;
- Proficiency with computers, software, and technology;
- Experience with multimedia and social media relevant to teaching
Please be advised that an appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association. These provisions state the “Order of Work,” or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.
Salary Range Salary commensurate with experience.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy and Approach to Diversity
- Statement of Expertise, including professional experience, courses you are qualified to teach
- Three references with contact information
Inquires may be directed to: Dr. Ashwini Wagle, Department Chair, Nutrition, Food Science and Packaging at [email protected]
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked third nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Advertised: November 27, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled