Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Scope of Responsibilities
Responsible for the support of daily and front of house operations related to events in campus venues. Manage and coordinate front of house staff, volunteers, and patron accessibility needs. Facilitate the collection, organization and presentation of the information and materials needed from space users, training and oversight to the house managers, communication with team members regarding event details, and upholding excellent customer service standards. Maintain efficient operations of the Box Office at all times. Provide accurate and timely information and facilitate problem solving in an efficient and customer focused manner.
Manage the correspondence with renters to determine production needs in relation to ticketing and audience services. Determine production requirements, meet with renters to establish and review production specifications, scheduling levels to ensure accuracy.
Maintain excellent presentation of materials, personnel, policies and procedures at primary locations and auxiliary locations as assigned. Take a proactive approach to issues and problems, recommend and facilitate solutions both independently and in conference with team and management to resolve complex situations related to crowd management and safety.
Manage part-time staff, volunteer usher and security staffing support for events. Manage volunteer program recruitment, training, correspondence, and rewards program. Assess security venue needs and deployment of all staff during events for optimized accessibility, security and customer service needs.
Assist in the management of student employees. Provide training, updates and communication to the student employees regarding operations, policies and procedures, including PCI-DSS (credit card) security compliance training and practices, and ADA regulations and accessibility information.
Participate in the sale of tickets for arts and cultural events through phone, window, mail and internet operations. Answer inquiries, determining seat locations and assist customers with selection and purchase of tickets for individuals and groups. Provide excellent customer service to patrons, the Duke University community and external constituents. Responsible for daily cash handling and reconciliation of cash, check, credit and Flex payment transactions.
Implement new office methods and procedures to ensure accuracy and efficiency. Ensure accurate maintenance of office records, manuals and documents while keeping informed of new policies and procedures. Interpret new directives, policies and regulations and inform appropriate personnel of changes.
Perform additional related duties as assigned or required to meet department, division and University goals and objectives.
Job-Specific Skills and Competencies
- Experience with ticketing systems, AudienceView Ticketing product experience preferred
- Experience with digital media concepts and marketing, such as Four Winds Interactive, Photoshop, Illustrator products
- Self-motivated, ability to take initiative and complete projects independently
- Capable of working in a fast paced environment
- Basic understanding of ticketing industry and relational database systems
- Experience in customer record management and maintenance
- Must exhibit professional phone etiquette
- Ability to explain and interpret documents and complex processes to others
- Ability to work under pressure on projects and work with people of varying experience levels
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to problem solve and manage concurrent projects within established guidelines
- Strong communication skills – verbal, written and interpersonal
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team, with a commitment to collaboration
- Valid NC driver’s license required. Must complete and maintain required compliance, vehicle safety checks, and training in order to remain eligible to drive Duke vehicles.
- Ability to work under the following working conditions: frequent use of stairs, noise, and work in low light conditions. This position will be expected to work extended hours, night and weekend shifts required on a regular basis.
- Ability to carry, push or pull items up to 50 pounds.
Work requires knowledge of basic mathematical, research and communications principles normally acquired through two years of postsecondary education.
Work generally requires four years of clerical or research experience OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE to acquire strong skills in administrative or project research responsibilities as well as accepted office management, communications and research practices. A bachelor's degree in a field of study directly related to the specific position may be substituted for the education and two years of the experience requirement.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.