The Office of the Provost, Division of Student Affairs
has an opportunity for a Senior Assistant Director
within the department of URecFit and Wellness
. This position is responsible for the development and administration of comprehensive wellness and health promotion programming for a diverse campus community. The Senior Assistant Director will report to and support the Associate Director of Business and Programming in the strategic development, administration, implementation and evaluation of an inclusive recreation and wellness program including but not limited to prevention education strategies, policies, programs, and services using theory and an evidence-based approach. They will collaborate with key partners (e.g., Counseling Center, Office of Accountability and Compliance, Student Health, Human Resources) to advocate for and integrate university-wide strategic wellness initiatives that support the health, holistic development and success of students.*This position is “professional on call,” and may supervise campus recreation facilities and staff on designated evenings weekends and holidays. Benefits Information
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Essential Functions
- Develop comprehensive and integrated wellbeing program content, which includes establishing goals, engaging in outreach and marketing efforts, identifying desired learning outcomes and selecting instructional or intervention methods.
- Provide educational programming focused on prevention and cessation efforts relative to substance use and communicable disease prevention, among other public health and public mental health concerns.
- Ensure education and prevention experiences are evidence-based and/or theory-based and designed to reach UMB students and the larger university community.
- Conduct culturally appropriate needs assessments relative to prevention in the areas of substance use and communicable disease.
- Act as a liaison with School, community and governmental health agencies. Act as an expert resource and identify opportunities to combine or enhance existing programs.
- Implement an assessment plan and evaluate program effectiveness, which includes adopting data collection strategies, analyzing data, and using data to inform program development and practices.
- Develop and facilitate presentations and engage in grant writing.
- Conduct needs assessments, program evaluations, and other studies (e.g., ACHA/NCHA/Healthy Minds) to monitor risk rates in the community.
- Maintain an effective website of campus community resources in the area of wellness.
- Work collaboratively within the Division of Student Affairs and across the seven schools to conduct educational awareness campaigns and market programs on various health and wellness topics.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate wellness interns and student staff. This includes recruiting and hiring, determining responsibilities and duties, providing professional and personal development opportunities, and working collaboratively with academic departments to ensure internship opportunities fulfill academic requirements.
- Assist in developing, implementing, monitoring, and the evaluation of UMB’s lactation centers as well as other services and facilities.
- Lead and participate in Division of Student Affairs and university committees and task forces as requested.
- Assist with day to day operations of the recreation and wellness facility as well as with Division of Student Affairs initiatives. Perform other duties as assigned.
: Bachelor's degree in related field.Preferred:
Master’s degree in public health, health promotion, wellness, psychology, counseling, social work, or related mental health or discipline.Experience
: Two (2) years of experience in human resources with a focus on work life initiatives. Progressive experience working in higher education, wellness programs, public health, health promotion, or student affairs is preferred. Certifications:
CPR, AED, First Aid (or obtained within 60 days of employment) Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of education and outreach methods.
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision.
- Skill in exercising initiative, resourcefulness, and sound judgment with an ability to solve problems and make decisions.
- Ability to prioritize ongoing and new projects necessary to implement a specific organizational program.
- Ability to use culturally and developmentally appropriate tools and programs.
- Skill in communicating efficiently and effectively both orally and in writing with a diverse individuals internal and external to the organization.
- Skill in continuously seeking to improve the quality of services, programming and processes. Skill in relevant PC applications.
: Low to mid $60,000’s, commensurate with education and experience UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
Academic Affairs - University Recreation & FitnessJob Posting:
Sep 1, 2021Unposting Date:
Oct 2, 2021, 10:59:00 PM