Director and Chief of the University Police DepartmentUniversity Pay Plan Title:
Director and Chief of the University Police DepartmentLocation:
University PoliceRecruitment Type:
Open to AllJob Type:
Commensurate with ExperienceJob Category :
ExemptRequired Qualifications: Applicants must specifically address how they meet these required qualifications to meet the requirements of the position.:
· Knowledge of laws and legal processes; University and Regents rules and regulations; modern methods and best practices in university policing; community relations; employee training and development. · Skilled in team building; oral and written communication; interacting courteously with the public; directing the word of others; and mediating disputes; public speaking, fostering positive and meaningful relationships with diverse faculty, staff, students, and visitors. · Ability to understand court opinions, laws, and policies; prepare reports, letters, and proposals; display empathy; use sound judgment; and appreciate a diversity of people and ideas. · Must be a Texas Certified Peace Officer or hold a similar certification from another state with the ability to obtain Texas certification with one year of employment. Preferred Qualifications:
· Must be willing to relocate within a reasonable commuting radius of the San Marcos Campus of Texas State University
The position’s preferred qualifications are a college degree with at least ten years of demonstrated leadership in law enforcement, including increasing level and scope of responsibilities, command supervisory experience, higher education experience, comfort with community engagement, budget management, and operational/ programmatic responsibilities for safety.Job Description:
Responsible for the overall safety and security of the university. Responsible for the strategic direction and day-to-day supervision of the University Police Department (UPD). Job Duties:
· Provide comprehensive leadership, strategic vision, and general oversight for patrol operations, investigations, community policing, crime prevention strategies, emergency response, community outreach, educational services, crime statistics, federal compliance reporting, and programs for the campus community that place community building and student success as a priority.· Design, and implement operational policies and procedures that are based on university policing best practices. · Regularly engage with students, faculty and staff to create strong relationships and lines of communication.· Support the university’s commitment to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for all people with a particular focus on Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. · Embrace Texas State University’s federal status as a Hispanic Serving Institution.· Prepare and manage a complex, multi-million dollar budget.· Supervise, develop, coach, and support employees assigned to UPD in a manner that builds esprit de corps.· Analyze crime and police service needs, prepare and delegate strategies and responses. · Continuously solicit, evaluate and respond to constituent feedback, concerns and inquiries concerning public safety. · Work closely with local, county, state, and federal public safety officials.Additional Information to Applicants:
· Positively represent the university in public speaking engagements and through behavior and actions on duty and off.· Ensure compliance with university, state, and federal reporting responsibilities.· Maintain collaborative and proactive relationships with students, student organizations, faculty, staff, and campus departments, as well as external agencies such as law enforcement and emergency management agencies, to address safety and security priorities, educational outreach, and community policing programs.· Perform other duties as assigned.
Applications submitted prior to August 30, 2021 will receive priority review.Job Open Date:
For more information about the position, Division of Finance and Support Services, and our university, please visit the Chief of Police Search Profile at https://www.fss.txstate.edu/Chief-of-Police-Search
08/09/2021Open Until Filled:
YesNormal Work Days:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, FridayNormal Work Hours Start:
8:00AMNormal Work Hours End:
YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO ELECTRONICALLY ATTACH A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO YOUR APPLICATION. Legal and Required Notices:
Texas State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, committed to inclusive thought and action in support of our diverse community. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups and all those who share our commitment to inclusivity and passion for the strength of our diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.Why work @ Texas State? :
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.
Texas State is committed to increasing the number of women and minorities in administrative and professional positions.
• Amazing health insurance: various coverage options starting your first day of employment for full-time employees with Texas State paying 100% of the employee premium and 50% for your dependents.Quick Link:
• Generous paid time off: vacation, holidays, sick days and many more!
• Excellent work life balance resources: mother and family-friendly resources in addition to a comprehensive FREE wellness program
• Great training and development opportunities: choose from a variety of classroom and online course offerings, learning resources, certifications, and employee educational support programs.
• An inclusive Bobcat community: join our many social networks offered on and off-campus
• Retirement peace of mind: TRS pension, retirement plans and voluntary saving options with generous employer contributions
By joining the Texas State Bobcat team, you’ll be a part of one of the most beautiful, diverse, and growing universities in the nation.