Job Location: University of Silicon Valley - San Jose, CA
Position Type: Part Time
Education Level: 4 Year Degree
Job Category: Education
Transfer knowledge including theory, practical skills, methods, and techniques. Impart practical application of principles, techniques, and software. Other aspects of teaching include; supervision of instructional activities, instructional management, curriculum and course development; and creation of teaching and instructional materials. Typical courses include Digital Imaging Concepts, 3D Modeling, Game Production, Character Rigging, Game Usability, Game Design, and Level Design.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach one or more courses per trimester
- Collaborate with department faculty in the curriculum implementation, student support, and continuous program improvement
- Ensure curriculum and syllabi are up to date and all classes have relevant materials
- Maintain office hours outside of instructional time
- Participate in department meetings and student success initiatives
- Participate in program learning assessment
- May participate in Faculty Senate and Senate Committees
- Assist in maintaining a pool of prospective adjunct instructors and part-time faculty
- Build and maintain community and industry relationships, including project partnerships, student opportunities
- Maintain industry knowledge
- Other duties as assigned
Master’s Degree preferred in Related Field or Bachelor’s Degree with equivalent experience. Bachelor’s degree is only acceptable with extensive game industry experience
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience working as a professional in the game industry
- Two or more credited game titles
- Teaching experience in an academic or professional setting is preferred
Game Designers (GDA & GDE):
- Game Design & level designers with experience for board, mobile, console, social, or/and web-based games
Game Design Artist (GDA):
- Experience working with Maya software for animation, modeling, or lighting of content in delivered/shipped games
- 3-5 years of experience with Maya, UDK, Unity, or other 3d or 2d content creation tools & for games
Game Design Engineers (GDE):
- Knowledge of programming and scripting and creating tools & engines for 3d and 2d games.
- Knowledge of scripting within Maya– python and MEL is preferred
- Knowledge of scripting within UDK or Unity scripting is preferred
- Ability and willingness to discern and meet the needs of students
- Ability to keep organized file structure and apply naming conventions
- Strong computer skills including the ability to collect and analyze information
- Competent in a wide variety of tools or techniques needed to create games
- Ability to learn new programs
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills
- Ability to establish interpersonal rapport and relate to individuals from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to work with others in a collegial and productive manner
This position operates in a classroom environment on-ground and/or online with extensive people interaction. Classes may be scheduled at night, during the day, as well as on weekends.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit for long periods; use hands and reach with hands and arms for such activities as keyboarding.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities are subject to change at any time.