Search #: 495576
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Administrative Services
The Connecticut Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (CVMDL), Department of Pathobiology and Veterinary Science, provides diagnostic testing, pathology, and surveillance for diseases of critical importance to both animal and human health. The CVMDL is seeking an Administrative Program Support 1 to provide focused administrative support to the CVMDL in the areas of specimen accessioning, data entry, procurement and purchasing, specialized shipping of specimens, and providing limited necropsy and trimming support to lab personnel, as well as a wide variety of administrative support and laboratory functions as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Functions include but are not limited to:
- Oversee main reception for the laboratory by using exceptional customer service skills to thoughtfully and diplomatically greet and assist in-person clients. Answer multi-line phone, employ strong customer service skills to assist callers or route calls as appropriate.
- Sample Accessioning: data entry into the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), which includes sample handling and distribution to laboratory testing sections according to current standard operating procedures. Review records and data for accuracy, reconcile differences. Work with clientele, other staff, and university offices to identify errors and assist with or make corrections.
- Procurement and purchasing of laboratory supplies and equipment: resolution and follow-through for orders placed, maintenance of all related records, and preparation of necessary reports. Review of records and data for accuracy, reconcile differences, and work with vendors, other staff, and University offices to identify errors and make corrections.
- Specialized shipping of specimens and laboratory material following applicable regulations.
- Maintenance of controlled documents (Work Instruction Sheets, Standard Operating Procedures) in related area(s) adhering to quality assurance procedures.
- Serve as a resource to students, staff, faculty, and others on matters relating to administrative procedures and on some matters relating to program specialty. Training and supervision of student workers.
- Compile data and prepare statistical reports to monitor or assess department activities, programs, and services, or project future needs. Maintain records and prepare necessary reports.
- Assist in the maintenance and modification of complex filing or record-keeping systems.
- Monitor office supply inventory and coordinate maintenance for office and some laboratory equipment.
- Support necropsy operations and trimming of mail-in specimens.
- Stay abreast of changes to university policies and procedures, and provide education and outreach in regard to policies.
- Perform related work as required.
- Associate’s degree in related field and two to three years of related experience OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to establish strong working relationships with a variety of clientele
- Demonstrated customer service experience
- Demonstrated experience on a multi-line phone system
- Computer literacy, e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in a diagnostic laboratory setting
- Experience in a veterinary hospital/veterinary reception or working with clientele in bereavement
- Familiarity working within a Quality Assurance program (AAVLD, AHA, GLP, CLIA, ISO, etc.)
- Experience with procurement using UConn procurement card system
- Experience with UConn Kuali system, UConn Huskybuy, Or UConn Concur
- Knowledge of Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
- Experience working with students in higher education
This is a 12-month, full-time, annually renewable position.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment at the University of Connecticut is contingent upon the successful candidate’s compliance with the University’s Mandatory Workforce COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. This Policy states that all workforce members are required to have or obtain a Covid-19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment at UConn, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495576 to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least three (3) professional references. Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on September 29, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Sep 15 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Sep 29 2021 Eastern Daylight Time