: Oakland, CAPosted:
: Aug 30, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Part-time TemporaryPosition ID:
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Mills College Upward Bound (MCUB) is a federally funded TRiO program designed to enhance the academic skills of low-income first generation college-bound high school students in the Oakland and West Contra Costa Unified School District with the goal that participants will pursue a post-secondary education. TRiO is funded by the U. S. Department of Education.
Saturday College Description
Mills College Upward Bound Program offers an educational program for students in 9th -12th grade. The Saturday College program will provide academic instruction in core subjects: English, Sciences and Mathematics. It will also provide courses and workshops exploring various topics: Life Skills, Study Skills, College Preparation, Career Exploration, and Cultural Awareness.
The Saturday College program will be carried out at Mills College throughout the academic year twice per month. Staff orientation/training will take place prior to the first instructional day on Tuesday, September 21st. Instruction for the Mills College Upward Bound Program is scheduled to begin Saturday, October 16th.
The daily instructional schedule will be as follows:
- 9:00 - 9:30 - Prep Time
- 9:35 - 10:05 - Staff Check In
- 10:10 - 11:40 - Period 1
- 11:45 - 1:10 - Period 2
The following Saturdays are scheduled for instruction. Prep time is also allotted
- Oct 16th , 30th
- Nov 13th
- Dec 4th, 18th
- Jan 15th, 29th
- Feb 5th, 19th
- Mar 5th, 19th
- Apr 2nd, 16th
Mills College Upward Bound Program is currently seeking highly motivated, knowledgeable, creative, engaging, student focused, experienced educators to teach academic courses in American Sign Language. Courses will be taught to high school students from our target schools. The position requires someone who has passion, alternative teaching practices, and knowledge to motivate and challenge students to generate skills necessary for college success. We seek instructors who can develop a strong curriculum that addresses students' needs, interests, abilities, and curiosities.
Each course will be defined by:
- Class sizes (5-25 students).
- Enrichment instruction, group work, and real-world application of concepts taught.
- Experiential learning; interactive curriculum; foundational development; problem-solving skills; present novel concepts that they may not otherwise be seen by our students unless they decide to actively seek it out; basic adult life skills, along with fun project based learning activities.
- Pre & post assessments.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develops and implements effective units, lessons and classroom activities.
- Organizes classroom systems/procedures and manages student behavior to ensure all students are fully engaged in learning; supports systems/procedures of the classroom teachers.
- Design and implement a course syllabus that effectively outlines monthly concepts covered, in-class & group work, projects, post assessment.
- Establish classroom management policies and procedures needed to maintain a productive classroom environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, Mills College Upward Bound mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Participate in Mills College Upward Bound instructional staff meetings at 9:35am -10:05am am before the instructional day begins.
- Attend teacher orientation/planning session(s), program activities, & final evaluation closing session. Dates to be announced prior to hiring.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of subject matter and skill acquisition in subject being taught.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in related fields and some proficiency with computers.
- Knowledge of child/adolescent development and different learning modes and teaching styles.
- Inspirational, culturally aware with demonstrated knowledge and experience in problems facing low-income and first generation students.
- Skills and knowledge to effectively work with students with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Ability to understand and enforce all Mills College Upward Bound Program policies.
Education and Training:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree. Preferred candidate holds Teaching Credential or working towards Teaching Credential.
- Minimum 2 years' experience teaching in related subjects.
- Minimum 2 years direct working relationship/or teaching low-income, first-generation college-bound students.
- Strong preference given to Oakland Unified School District teachers.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position. Pay rate is $25 per hour. Temporary employees are covered by mandated benefits that include Social Security, State Disability Insurance, Worker's Compensation and Unemployment Insurance.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://www.mills.edu/policies/ada-policies/nondiscrimination-statement.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Mills College requires all current faculty and staff to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus prior to returning to campus. All new hires are required to be fully vaccinated prior to the first date of work on campus. Fully vaccinated is defined as two weeks following a second shot of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks following a single dose vaccine. For further information regarding the Mills' immunization policy, including medical and religious exemptions, please contact [email protected]
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
- Sample course proposal/syllabus
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.