University of Idaho
HPC Systems Administrator
University Research (Div)
$85,000 - $95,000 per year depending on experience
The High Performance Computing (HPC) Systems Administrator will help the Institute for Interdisciplinary Data Sciences (IIDS) Research Computing and Data Services (RCDS) unit to manage supercomputing resources located within the Collaborative Computing Center (C3) at the Idaho National Laboratory (INL) in Idaho Falls, ID. This position reports to the UI RCDS High Performance Computing Director and works closely with a multi-institutional team of systems administrators and technical staff to provide a secure and optimized supercomputing environment that directly supports Idaho higher education research.
This position is involved in project planning and the evaluation of research computing infrastructure across a heterogeneous environment; monitors and ensures hardware/software security, reliability, and performance; develops and implements system reporting services; maintains configuration management systems, job schedulers, software repositories and package management systems; optimizes existing systems and assists and educates users regarding software installation and troubleshooting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field OR at least 4 years equivalent experience.
- Working with current versions of Linux
- Working cooperatively and communicating effectively with management, colleagues, and end-users in a customer service driven environment
- Using version control systems (e.g git)
- Configuring and troubleshooting host-based firewalls in Linux
- Working effectively with people from various organizational disciplines and with people who have varying degrees of technical experience
- Managing and using relational SQL databases
- Working knowledge of application systems design, relational database design and management, multi-user application programming, computer trends, capabilities, and terminology
- Communicating solutions of technical problems to vendors, clients, end-users and/or other IT staff
- Debugging and testing computer programs/operations systems and components
- Keeping up and adjusting with technology changes
- Advanced knowledge of Linux, especially through the command line interface
- Industry best practices for working in and maintaining a secure server environment
- Working knowledge of server system technologies such as Network Attached Storage, virtualization, and RAID
- Rules of effective business English usage, spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Knowledge of practical applications of common network protocols such as TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, SNMP, and LDAP
- Basic application of shell scripting in one or more of: Bash, Perl, Python, Ruby
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience with current versions of Linux, specificially Redhat/CentOS or its equivalent
- Managing and using relational SQL databases, specifically MySQL
- Experience with research and/or working with scientific researchers
- Experience with current configuration management and deployment strategies and tools (e.g. Chef, Ansible, Saltstack)
- Experience managing production web servers, including SSL certificate management (experience with Apache httpd preferred)
- Creating RPM packages and repositories
- Graphical, user interface and information design experience
- Experience with HPC systems (clusters of 10+ nodes) and clustered storage (Lustre)
- Experience with networking design and implementation
- Experience with bioinformatics software
- Experience with Virtualization systems and hypervisors including VMWare vSphere, OpenNebula, and Docker
Open Until Filled:
Priority application review begins September 13, 2021.
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency