Professor and Chair - Agronomy Department (80626)Location:
Gainesville, FLOpen Date:
Aug 27, 2021Close Date:
Dec 23, 2021Description:
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage individuals in historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Chair of the Department provides vision and coordination in planning, developing, and implementing departmental programs in teaching, research, and extension; leadership in recruiting and fostering academic growth, and supporting professional development of faculty, staff, and students; administration of the department’s human and financial resources; and promotion of external funding opportunities and enhancement of national and international recognition. Although the position is housed in Gainesville, these duties encompass faculty and staff on main campus and several Research and Extension Centers throughout the state.
The Chair administers state, national, and international programs of the Department, assigns responsibilities to faculty and staff, and evaluates their performance. The Chair represents departmental and faculty interests with administrators; other departments, units and outside agencies; and individuals and groups in natural resources, industry, and communities.
The Chair articulates and executes a compelling and shared vision for leading and developing the Department, while promoting a broadly shared sense of collegiality, mutual respect, equity, and support within the department, college, and university. The Chair engages with professional societies to promote faculty, the discipline, and the department. The Chair will collaborate with the Vice President of IFAS, Deans, Associate and Assistant Deans, other IFAS Chairs, Research and Education Center Directors, and other administrators in providing leadership for delivering integrated programs to meet the diverse needs of students, extension clientele, research sponsors, and other stakeholders. The Chair provides leadership in the department by cooperating with the Agronomy Administrative Advisory Committee, which includes industry stakeholders.
The Agronomy Department (http://agronomy.ifas.ufl.edu) has diverse teaching, research, and extension programs with currently 22 faculty members located on the main campus in Gainesville and 14 faculty located at Research and Education Centers throughout the state. The inter-disciplinary Center for Stress Resilient Agriculture was added under the department umbrella in 2017 and encompasses the Agroecology academic programs. Agronomy faculty also engage with other centers and institutes including the UF/IFAS Food Systems Institute.Qualifications:
- An earned doctorate degree (foreign equivalent acceptable) in agroecology/ecology, agronomy, biology, crop science, plant science, or a related discipline;
- A record of outstanding scholarly achievement and professional activities related to teaching, research, extension, and/or industry that will qualify the individual to be a tenured full professor in the Department;
- Appreciation for the diverse research, teaching, and extension focal areas in the Department, which include agroecology, agronomy, aquatic plants, crop breeding, ecology, genetics, genomics, physiology, natural areas management, and weed science;
- Demonstrated record of success in leadership, fiscal, and personnel management in a highly diverse program, scientific or academic unit, or department;
- Effective administrative leadership and managerial skills, including documented experience in defining organizational objectives; developing strategic approaches to planning; managing human, fiscal, and physical resources; motivating people and developing effective teams; pursuing entrepreneurial opportunities; generating and managing grant funds in support of teaching, research, and extension; and securing private funds;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively listen, communicate, develop strong collaborations, and represent the Department with administrators, agencies, industry, and on-and off-campus groups;
- Strong commitment to recruit and retain undergraduate and graduate students and faculty with effort extended to increase underrepresented groups;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage with students, faculty, staff, administrators, and external stakeholders within the university and at state, federal, and international levels to create positive outcomes;
- Commitment to interact with and support Agronomy faculty members located at IFAS Research and Education Centers and to foster strong collaborations among county and state faculty;
- Evidence of creativity and support for professional development and promotion of all members in the department;
- Experience in effective international engagement and collaboration;
- Strong support and understanding of the land-grant university mission; and
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, accessibility, and shared governance in all department endeavors, fostering a collegial process in decision making with wide participation.
For full consideration, candidates should apply and submit materials by December 1, 2021. The position will remain open until a viable applicant pool is determined.
Nominations are welcome. Nominations need to include the complete name and address of the nominee. This information should be sent to:
Please refer to Requisition # 80626
Kati Migliaccio, PhD PE
Chair, Search and Screen Committee
University of Florida
Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering
1741 Museum Road
Gainesville, FL 32611-0570
Electronic Mail: [email protected]
Individuals wishing to apply should go online to http://apply.interfolio.com/93246 and submit:
- Letter of application that states the applicant’s interest in the position, qualifications relative to the position, administrative philosophy, and previous professional responsibilities and achievements and how these relate to the Chair’s position. The letter should include the applicant’s general strategy for building and sustaining the Agronomy Department. The letter should also address the applicant’s experience and administrative capabilities to lead and manage a department spread throughout the state.
- Statement of Diversity describing the vision for promoting and encouraging diversity in the Agronomy Department;
- Complete vita (including a description of current position and responsibilities); and
- Names and contact information of five individuals who are knowledgeable about the applicant’s qualifications for this position.
The selected candidate will be required to provide an official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. The University of Florida is a public institution and subject to all requirements under Florida Sunshine and Public Record laws.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University and greater Gainesville community enjoy a diversity of cultural events, restaurants, year-round outdoor recreational activities, and social opportunities.