Job no: 509219
Work type: Faculty Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Chemical Engineering
Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in Chemical Engineering
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
As a campus with an increasingly diverse student body, we are looking for candidates who can operate effectively in a diverse faculty and student community, and who value collegiality, collaboration, achievement, and integrity. We encourage applications from women, minorities, and individuals with a commitment to mentor under-represented demographics within engineering. We are committed to helping all constituents reach their full potential, creating best-in-practice operations to support faculty scholarship and fostering excellence in student experiences inside and outside our department.
UMass Amherst is a leader in providing institutional support for faculty to combine work and family/personal responsibilities, and was listed among the Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For”, UMass is in the top 10% of public research-intensive universities in the COACHE survey for raising a family. For more information on work-life balance at UMass Amherst, see https://www.umass.edu/prospective-faculty/work/balance
The Department of Chemical Engineering at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the assistant professor level. The applicant’s research can be in any area of chemical engineering. The department is committed to maintain an interdisciplinary and collaborative education and research environment to support different research areas related to chemical engineering. The appointment is expected to begin September 1, 2022.
The Department of Chemical Engineering has 22 full-time, tenure track faculty members and approximately 80 graduate students and 250 undergraduates. The department’s FY 20 research expenditures exceed $9.5 million/year. Additional information about the Department can be found at che.umass.edu.
Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering or a related field, outstanding record of research accomplishments, and commitment to excellence in teaching and research. Faculty members are expected to teach both undergraduate and graduate courses, supervise undergraduate and graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, contribute significantly to the advancement of basic science and engineering as evidenced by scholarly publications, develop a nationally and internationally recognized program of sponsored research and support diversity and inclusivity in their scholarly activities. The successful candidate will be responsible for establishing and maintaining a program of externally funded research. We expect the successful candidate to be committed to working within a diverse community of students and faculty and to pursue interdisciplinary research collaborations within the department and throughout the campus.
Preferred starting date is September 1, 2022.
- Applications will be reviewed starting on November 15, 2021, and reviewed until the search is completed
- Applications must be submitted online and include the following materials:
- A cover letter that lays out your interest in this position and why you are a good fit.
- Statement of research outlining your accomplishments, focusing on your future plans and potential fit at Chemical Engineering Department at UMass Amherst.
- Statement of teaching, including your teaching philosophy and potential courses you might offer at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Statement about equity, diversity, and inclusion as they relate to the faculty role in teaching, research and/ or service. Specifically, the search committee is looking for indicators of commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and the different ways this might be demonstrated, such as in research and scholarship, teaching, mentorship, service and engagement, skill building and personal growth, and personal background experiences.
- Curriculum vitae
- Full contact information for a minimum of three professional references
- A minimally qualified pool is identified
- All remaining candidates are evaluated, and a long list is identified, which will be interviewed via zoom/phone/skype
- A shortlist will be developed and be invited to interview on campus
The University is committed to active recruitment of a diverse faculty and student body. The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members. Because broad diversity is essential to an inclusive climate and critical to the University’s goals of achieving excellence in all areas, we will holistically assess the many qualifications of each applicant and favorably consider an individual’s record working with students and colleagues with broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. We will also favorably consider experience overcoming or helping others overcome barriers to an academic career and degree. We are seeking talented applicants qualified for an assistant professor position. Under exceptional circumstances, highly qualified candidates at other ranks may receive consideration.
Advertised: Aug 25 2021 Eastern Daylight Time