Posted:August 24, 2021
Level: Manager 2
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Job Posting: BOR 21-23
Closing Date: Applications must be submitted by 5:00pm (EST) on Thursday, September 30 2021
Hartford area (location may vary)
Anticipated Start Date:
The position serves as an advocate and strategist for the CSCU System on state, federal, and local policy matters within the Office of Government Relations. Reporting to the Senior Director of Government Relations and External Affairs, the position is expected to support the day-to-day government relations operations of the system including active lobbying, bill tracking, research, and preparation of testimony. The position will also function as an advisor to CSCU leadership, and as a resource for senior officers at the system and institutional level on legislative and political matters, providing guidance and consultation to them to enhance the effectiveness of their respective programs.
This position is unique within the organization. Its principal effort is to affect state and federal legislation and regulation in ways that are favorable to the CSCU System’s mission of education and academic excellence.
The position may supervise full- and part-time professionals and clerical staff and may direct part-time student workers.
Bachelor’s degree in public administration, political science or a related field together with a minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in developing, coordinating, and implementing effective government relations programs required.
Successful Candidate must have or must possess:
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret laws, regulations and legislation and to apply them to and determine their effect on higher education;
- ability to advise policymakers on the effects of regulation and legislation and to guide their policymaking efforts;
- ability to affect legislators and government officials in a persuasive and convincing manner to take actions favorable to the CSCU System
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing in a collegial environment.
- Comprehensive understanding of the structures, policies, and practices of the Connecticut General Assembly with an ability to quickly build relationships with key legislators and staff will be essential to a successful candidate.
- proven ability to effectively work with a culturally, linguistically, and ethnically diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
- excellent oral and written communication skills along with strong Information technology literacy skills such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams etc.)
Applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications as stated are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them for the responsibilities of this position and by providing appropriate references. Exceptions to the degree requirements may be made for compelling reasons.
Example of Job Duties:
1. Conduct research, prepare written analyses, and develop strategies to affect and influence present and proposed public policy, legislation, and regulation impacting the CSCU System.
2. Monitors progress of System sponsored legislation as well as other legislation that will impact the System; analyzes the impact of legislative proposals being considered by the General Assembly on the CSCU System.
3. Informs the CSCU President and system Presidents on current state and federal policy and legislative activities and emerging issues.
4. Supports the intersession policy development process, assess current and upcoming legislative priorities and opportunities and provide guidance and support regarding implementation and legislative intent of proposals.
5. Facilitates extensive interactions with executives, administrators, legislative staff and others. In this role, the incumbent is expected to represent the system in a positive manner, maintaining a high degree of courtesy, cooperation, and respect and to collaborate with executives and other employees to ensure legislative proposals clearly articulate the intent and desired outcomes of proposals.
6. Consulted regarding the administration of collective bargaining agreements and the potential impact on CSCU.
7. Conducts effective lobbying and governmental relations efforts with federal, state and local officials and their staffs, supporting the System’s interests and long-term goals. Works with the Legislature to advocate for the inclusion of CSCU System priorities in various programs and budgets. Communicates with interior and exterior stakeholders to secure support for legislative initiatives.
8. Provide guidance and assistance to appropriate CSCU staff members with implementation of new or revised state law.
$85,478- $106,848 (midpoint) approximate annual plus excellent State of CT medical insurance, retirement, and related fringe benefits.
To apply you must submit a cover letter and resume.
Incomplete applications or those submitted after the closing date will not be considered and links to other sources to view resumes are not acceptable.
All employment, if offered, is contingent upon proof of citizenship or employability under the requirement of the Immigration and Control Act (IRCA) and the successful passing of a background check. CSCU is committed to providing a safe campus community. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check and, when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
Continuing Notice of Nondiscrimination
CSCU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, age, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, ancestry, present or past history of mental disorder, learning disability or physical disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or criminal record. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Nicholas D'Agostino Manager of Affirmative Action, Diversity, and Inclusion [email protected]
CSCU IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, M/F