Assistant Professor of Women’s, Transgender, and Queer Studies
Wells College seeks a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor of Women’s, Transgender, and Queer Studies for fall 2022, with the possibility of a January 2022 start. Terminal degree, such as, PhD, ABD, or MFA in Women’s Transgender, and Queer Studies or related fields required. A focus on intersectional approaches to transgender and queer theories, anti-racist and decolonizing pedagogies, and social activism are central to the WTQS major. Desirable areas of scholarship include, but are not limited to: intersections of gender, race, class, sexuality, and disabilities; body politics; decoloniality; feminist/trans-/queer theories; and activism. Duties include teaching three courses per semester, such as Introduction to WTQS; Body Politics; Indigenous Women’s Experience; Gender, Sexuality, and Health; Intersectionalities; Transgender Studies; Senior Project in WTQS. The successful candidate will advise WTQS majors, and support their experiential learning. We seek a colleague who is collaborative and can bring innovative multicultural, anti-racist, and decolonial approaches to teaching and has demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through action.
Wells College is a private four-year Liberal Arts college located in the Finger Lakes region of New York on the unceded lands of the Cayuga Nation. The mission of Wells College is to educate students to think critically, reason wisely, and act humanely as they cultivate meaningful lives. The Wells experience prepares students to appreciate complexity and difference, to embrace new ways of knowing, to be creative, and to respond ethically to the interdependent worlds to which they belong. Committed to excellence in all areas of its reach, Wells College equips students for lifelong learning and for sharing the privileges of education with others. Recognizing the role of higher education in supporting students from all backgrounds to meet the challenges of the future, Wells College is seeking to diversify its faculty and staff. We strive to embody a culture of belonging that empowers all to thrive. Our student body includes 35% of students identifying as a student of color and 32% who are first-generation college students.
In this search, Wells College wishes to reinforce its commitment to increase faculty and staff diversity, recognizing that to provide a diverse learning environment is to prepare students for personal and professional success in a multicultural society.
- Terminal degree, such as PhD or MFA (in hand or near completion) in Women’s Transgender, and Queer Studies or related fields from an accredited institution or university;
- Scholarly potential, demonstrated commitment to diversity and cultural competence through the use of multicultural pedagogies;
- Ability to teach all or most of courses listed above;
- Experience in teaching at the college level.
- Interest in doing administrative work, including curriculum development, budgeting, assessment, scheduling courses, submitting course materials and maintaining up-to-date records with the Registrar;
- Experience with community engagement, queer, trans-, feminist activism;
- Interest in working closely with students, being available during office hours, supervising senior WTQS research projects, advising and supporting WTQS majors; and
- Interest in supporting the college by participating in college admissions events, serving on faculty committees, and being an active member of the Wells community.
Applications should be submitted online at www.wells.edu/employment and include a cover letter, CV, the names and contact information of three references, a sample syllabus, a brief statement of teaching philosophy, and a diversity statement. Review of complete applications will begin on Sept. 13, however, the posting will remain open until the position has been filled.