Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Assistant to the BME Chair position at Duke University
The Chair of the Biomedical Engineering Department at Duke University is looking for a motivated and energetic Assistant to Chair to support him. The Assistant to the Chair is responsible for assisting the chair, planning and coordinating events, meetings and travel. The Assistant to the Chair is also expected to attain in-depth knowledge of department operations, organizational structure, policies, and procedures.
Primary duties in support of the chair
- Serve as the primary point person for managing priorities and scheduling the Chair’s calendar.
- Coordinate departmental meetings, including providing copies of material as needed, and taking notes on discussions and decisions and creating minutes
- Coordinate travel logistics (flights, ground transportation, accommodations, and restaurant reservations) and prepare detailed itineraries for all travel.
- Use Concur to process Chair’s and corporate card charges, and APCheck tools to process reimbursements to faculty candidates and other visitors.
- Handle sensitive and confidential information for the chair.
- Help keep BME website current and accurate.
- Assist department chair and search committee chairs with all tenure track searches including: ad preparation, scheduling visits, coordinating candidate database and EEO documentation, travel planning, and reimbursements.
- Facilitate new faculty members transition to Duke, including setting up initial contacts for realtors, movers, schools, etc.
APT (appointments, promotion and tenure)
- Assist with collection of material from the candidates, preparation of tenure and promotion packages, including assembling materials and dossiers
- Assist BME Business Manager and HR Manager as needed to maintain important routine workflow and/or in cases of special projects.
- Minimum of 1 year of administrative assistance experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- Advanced computer skills, and demonstrated experience with the full Microsoft Office Suite and Mac platform
Work requires analytical, communications and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
Work requires one year of experience in program administration or involving academic, instructional or counseling activities to acquire skills necessary to plan, coordinate and implement a variety of program activities and events. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.