Groundskeeper, Senior Location:
Facility Srv: Landscaping Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
Groundskeeper, Senior is the entry level position for Landscape & Outdoor Services, which may include leading student employees.
Please provide your work experience in detail as it relates to Groundskeeper tasks and equipment you have used. Put this information in the work experience section on the NAU application
- Please provide three (3) professional references with your application.
- Facility Services Department information is available at http://nau.edu/fs/.
- Communication from the hiring committee to applicants will be via e-mail, please monitor your e-mail accordingly.
- Employees in the Landscaping & Outdoor Services (LOS) department of Facility Services are designated as essential and are required to work during university closures. This position is required to participate is on-call and call back duties, which can include days, nights and weekends.
- Working conditions: dirty environments, extreme temperatures, lift or carry heavy objects and requires strenuous physical labor.
- Travel between campus locations is a regular part of the position. Arizona Administrative Code Fleet Safety Policy requires all employees who drive on university business to pass an online defensive driving course and submit their driver’s license number for periodic records review. The law affects all faculty, and students who drive any university-owned motorized vehicles. For more information, please see the NAU Authorized Driver Policy.
- A pre-employment background check is required for all successful candidates which includes fingerprinting for this position.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
The Mission of Facility Services is to create, maintain and enhance our campus through continuous improvement and sustainable practices for the benefit of the campus community. Our Vision is to be a progressive, customer-focused organization that is recognized as a leader in providing exceptional service and responsible stewardship of resources.
Under the general direction of the Landscaping & Outdoor Services Supervisor (LOS), the Groundskeeper, Senior is responsible for maintaining the campus landscape and outdoor spaces. This position reports to the LOS Supervisor and exists to aid the supervisor in fulfilling the Facility Services’ mission to the university by providing excellent customer service and maintaining the campus outdoor spaces with efficiency, care and to the highest standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(50%) – LAWN MAINTENANCE & IRRIGATION
- Leads student groundskeepers in the maintenance of grounds and grounds construction activities.
- Responsible for the grounds of an assigned section of campus.
- Maintains campus turf by mowing at the correct height, verticutting, seeding, aerifying, fertilizing and topdressing.
- Maintains irrigation systems on intramural fields.
- Coordinates irrigation schedules with user needs and requirements of turf.
- Coordinates maintenance schedules with practice times of various user groups. Coordinates the activities of any assigned personnel.
- Responsible for the maintenance of shrubs, trees, lawns, and planting areas. Trims and prunes a variety of trees and shrubs, as required.
- Responsible for hand watering flowers, shrubs, and trees as needed.
- Operates large power and field mowers, hand tools and large vehicles associated with grounds maintenance and landscaping activities.
- Assists Irrigation Repairer, Senior in scheduling and coordinating irrigation and watering activities as required in assigned area.
- Communicate with your supervisor and customer. Make sure that you have a complete understanding of the request for and ensure that each customer is informed and agrees with the schedule.
(10%) – LITTER PICK UP
- Removes litter including cigarette butts and empties litter barrels in assigned section on a daily basis.
- Maintenance of BigBelly public waste bin.
(10%) – CLEANING TOOLS, MAINTENANCE, OPERATE EQUIPMENT AND SAFETY
- May assist in irrigation activities including installing or repairing heads, lines, valves, clocks, troubleshooting, mapping systems for both popup and drip systems.
- Performs minor maintenance and repair on equipment and tools as required.
- Assists Heavy Equipment Operator in the completion of various landscaping projects.
- Operates various snow removal equipment.
- Provides detailed and specific reports for work completed. May involve daily work logs.
- Performs routine daily maintenance on all equipment. Includes washing/cleaning, checking and adding oil, and fluids.
- Secures all equipment at the end of the shift. Includes removing tools and equipment from trucks and placing in proper storage. Locking all trucks and equipment.
- May be required to work with other departments on projects.
- May be required to work in proximity to hazardous materials and is expected to work safely. Positions in this classification will be required to obtain a current Arizona Type D driver's license upon employment.
- Performs in compliance with NAU safety policies and procedures. Complies with all OSHA regulations in all job duties.
- Required to comply with the University's Safe Working and Learning Environment.
- Responsible for adhering to the minimum expectations of employees and workforce professionals of Facility Services.
(10%) – DAILY LOG, WORK LOGS, TRAINING
- Trains and assists in providing orientation to any assigned new employees.
- Inspects work of assigned personnel and recommends corrective measures to meet established standards.
- Maintains labor and cost records and requisitions materials, supplies and equipment as required.
- Will participate in job-related training. May be required to attend out-of-town seminars.
(5%) – SEASONAL
- Shovel and remove snow and ice from designated areas such as steps, sidewalks and entryways as required.
- Will operate Bobcat for sidewalk snow removal.
- High school degree AND
- 2-4 years of grounds maintenance experience; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Arizona Commercial Drivers License.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of the horticulture procedures.
- Knowledge of equipment, tools, and procedures of grounds construction and care.
- Knowledge of fertilizers, insecticides, and herbicides used in grounds care and gardening.
- Skill in operating grounds maintenance and grounds construction equipment and tools.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Ability to work effectively with people.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budgeted salary for this position is $31,320.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
September 29, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.