Chair and Associate/Full Professor of Oral Biology (80217)Location:
Gainesville, FLOpen Date:
Aug 22, 2021Description:
The University of Florida College of Dentistry (UFCD) invites applications and nominations for the Chair of the Department of Oral Biology. The Department is home to 20 faculty and a large cadre of students, post-doctoral trainees, technical and administrative staff. While Oral Biology is a very diverse scientific area, current expertise in the department includes pathogen biology and host/pathogen interactions, oral cellular biology, inflammation and immunology, and oral cancer. The department generates between $7.5 to 10.0 million dollars in extramural research funding annually and is also the home to the NIH/NIDCR Comprehensive Training Program in Oral Biology (T90/R90), a William J. Gies Award-winning program providing support for Ph.D. students, D.M.D./Ph.D. dual-degree students, and postdoctoral fellows.
UFCD is seeking an internationally recognized academician and researcher, with an excellent record of peer-reviewed funding and publications, along with teaching and administrative service. The Chair of Oral Biology will have the opportunity to lead and develop a highly accomplished and dynamic team of faculty, students and fellows and be actively engaged in teaching, research, and service activities of the college. Academic rank will be commensurate with experience and accomplishments. This is a tenure-track position.
- Establish and implement a vision and strategic plan for the future of the department in consultation with the department faculty and administration that is aligned with the strategic plans of the college, health science center and university.
- Proactively lead the research, education, and service missions of the department.
- Recruit and mentor faculty, and guide them in their professional development.
- Ensure a culture of excellence, inclusion, collegiality, and collaboration.
- Manage fiscal and administrative elements of the department.
UFCD is a leading dental research institution and the Department of Oral Biology has a long history of engagement in cutting-edge oral health research. UFCD currently ranks fifth among all US dental schools based in NIDCR funding and 7th in NIH funding to dental institutions. The University of Florida, a member of the AAU, is the largest and most comprehensive public university in the State of Florida, with large undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate educational programs. The UF Health Science Center and its six colleges (Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health and Health Professions, Veterinary Medicine) are located on the Gainesville campus, with additional teaching, research, and patient care sites in Jacksonville, Orlando, elsewhere across Florida, and internationally. Gainesville offers an unparalleled college town environment with outstanding public and private schools, reasonably-priced housing, superb year-round recreation opportunities and a temperate climate.
For more information about the University of Florida College of Dentistry, visit: www.dental.ufl.edu.Qualifications:
- Ph.D., D.D.S., D.M.D, M.D. or equivalent degree(s)
- Eligibility for appointment at the level of tenure-track Associate or Full Professor.
- Experience running an independent research program and a strong/consistent record of external funding, quality peer-reviewed publications and scholarly accomplishments at the national/international level.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, collaboration, interpersonal and team building skills.
- Demonstrated experience working closely or directly with senior academic administration, university administration, governing boards for higher education and/or accrediting agencies.
- Strong commitment to expand research, sustain collaborative research within department/college/across campus and with other institutions, and to foster innovation in research, education, and service.
- Substantial academic leadership experience that would support success in academic dentistry to include supervising others in an academic setting and fiscal management skills.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership responsibility with professional organizations dedicated to research, training, and education.
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants should attach curriculum vitae, cover letter describing their interest in the position, a statement of present and future research interests, and a list of three references with their application for consideration.
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff.
The University of Florida is An Equal Employment Opportunity Institution. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.