: Division of Liberal ArtsLocations:
: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Aug 10, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Part Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision, the Language Lab Assistant works with the Lab Coordinator to deliver services to student and faculty users of the Lab facilities at both campuses, assists students and faculty with the use of lab equipment and software, conducts conversation groups, and performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Language Lab Coordinator. Assists in the marketing of the Language Labs and all the services/programs provided by and related to both Labs to the campus community.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide supervision and daily oversight of the Language Lab at both campuses. Coordinate all lab activities during working hours.
- Explain operations of the lab to a variety of people including students and faculty groups as well as individuals.
- Assess needs of student users and assist students working independently in the lab.
- Assist faculty members in the use of the lab equipment to prepare for and conduct classes. Assist the lab coordinator and faculty members in the design of class activities.
- Provide routine maintenance for lab equipment during working hours and notify coordinator when specialized maintenance and repairs are necessary.
- Prepare audio, video, print materials, and computer software for use in the lab by students and faculty.
- Assist in maintaining the organization of all lab materials including print, audio, and video materials and software.
- Be familiar with all software and equipment in the lab. Regularly practice Sanako system functions, as well as practice with other equipment/software functions to keep skills up-to-date.
- Assist the Lab Coordinator in the design of workshops related to languages, lab functions, computer software programs, etc. for language faculty and students.
- Provide lab orientations to classes and faculty members and present lab information to other groups. Provide basic conversation groups and computer workshops for students.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- An Associate's degree in the Arts or Computer Science or the equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
- Demonstrated work experience with computers, Microsoft Office, basic Web/Graphic Design, and social media is required. Must be able to make appropriate labels and basic flyers for the lab. The ability to use a keyboard to enter, retrieve and manipulate data is required.
- Two years college coursework or fluency in one of the foreign languages offered at Oakton Community College is preferred.
- One year teaching experience/or workshop facilitation is preferred.
- A high level of interpersonal verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Requires the ability to mentally attend to and visually concentrate on a substantial amount of detail work.
- Mobility to move from building to building on-Campus and ability to work at both campuses as needed. Work is performed in a general office environment with little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Functional supervision is received from the Language Lab Coordinator. Administrative supervision is received from the Dean of Liberal Arts.
Functional supervision is exercised over student employees.
HOURS: Monday - Thursday 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
SALARY: $20.96 Salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.