The Director of the Center for Student Diversity & Inclusion (CSDI) at Miami University is responsible for initiatives that promote engagement and success of students as well as programs that prepare all students to lead in a diverse society. The Director will oversee the area's efforts to ensure that all students on campus develop, and sustain a strong sense of belonging and inclusion on campus, particularly students of color, women, ad LGBTQ+ students as well as other under-represented student populations.
This position will provide leadership for the Center of Student Diversity & Inclusion, which includes Intracultural Initiatives, LGBTQ+ & Gender Initiatives. A primary part of their work will be to identify ways to advance diversity as a critical component of social, academic and intellectual life on campus and to implement programs and services that promote student understanding of multiculturalism, diversity and inclusion on our campus.
The position will report to the Assistant Vice President for Student Life, serve on University committees that address diversity initiatives and will be a member of the Student Life director's leadership team.
1. Supervise and set priorities for staff who manage direct services for students of color, LGBTQ+ students, and programs related to issues of gender.
2. Oversee education and programming on diversity and inclusion topics, and create opportunities for ongoing conversations with students about diversity.
3. Provide leadership and professional development opportunities for staff consistent with professional goals.
4. Work collaboratively with the Office of Admission in attracting diverse students to campus. serve as an advocate and resource for students of color, gender, and LGBTQ+ students.
5. Monitor national trends in promoting the success of diverse students and help to educate the division and campus on the changing needs related to students of color, gender, LGBTQ+ students, and assess the impact of departmental programs as a result.
6. Develop long-range strategic planning and program development, including the assessment of such programs and services, consistent wit the university's mission.
7. Chair or serve on appropriate University and Divisional committees.
8. Manage departmental operating budget and gifts including forecasting expenditures and revenues, maintaining records, and linking program objectives and assessment to the annual budget process.
9. Prepare departmental reports and presentations as needed.
10. Provide leadership, idea and direction to the university and its initiatives focused on the needs of underrepresented students.
11. Establish relationships and partner with various offices in the Division of Student Life and other University offices, including the Office of Institutional Diversity.
12. Establish connections with local, state, and national organizations focused on diversity and inclusion.
13. Maintain active presence, collaborate with, or provide guidance to new or existing diverse student organizations with the Diversity Affairs Council.
14. Establish effective modes of communication to inform and educate the campus community about on-going Diversity programming.
15. Alon with other staff in the Center for Student Diversity & Inclusion, provide support for student recruitment, retention, inclusion, and success.
16. Utilize The Council for Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS) standards for Diversity-Multicultural offices for evaluation and assessment.
17. Other related duties as assigned.
Master's degree in higher education, student affairs, or related field
5 years of progressive professional (full-time) experience working in student affairs or other student services area on a college campus
Minimum of 2 years' experience supervising professional staff
Demonstrated knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience related to diversity and inclusion
Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with students, faculty, staff, and community constituents
Demonstrated understanding of the developmental needs of college students, particularly identity development
Experience developing new programs and services
Strong leadership abilities and excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
Team orientation and inclusive philosophy
Personable and relatable to all student populations as well as faculty and staff
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Excellent presentation skills
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to [email protected] or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.