Job no: 517872
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:28334100 - VM-CLINICAL/MICRO/PARASITOLOGY
Veterinary Diagnostic Lab Microbiology Technician I- CARE
- Perform a variety of diagnostic techniques and assays in the areas of bacteriology, mycology, mycobacteriology, mycoplasma, serology, and parasitology to identify pathogens of veterinary importance.
- Examples of techniques and assays include, but are not limited to, culture set-up, delineation, identification and susceptibility testing of pathogens of veterinary importance, biochemical assimilation assays, immunofluorescent assays, ELISAs, fecal flotations, sedimentations, and direct smears. Perform quality control testing and complete associated documentation.
- Perform various administrative support duties including, results reporting into the hospital information system, faxing and e-mailing results to outside clinics and prepare request forms and specimens for shipment to referring laboratories, packaging samples for shipping to reference laboratories.
- Maintain laboratory supplies inventory and perform weekly ordering of supplies with approval of Laboratory Manager.
- Maintain inventory of hazardous waste and schedule pick-up of waste by Environmental Health and Safety.
- Properly process and dispose of hazardous, biohazardous, and biomedical waste. Assist in the maintenance of the chemical inventory and laboratory equipment, preparation of solutions and reagents, and actively participate in laboratory organization and logistics.
- Provide guidance to Students, Clinicians, and Technicians on proper sample submission techniques and assist with updates on culture results. Assist and train other personnel as needed and dictated by expertise.
$15.50-$16.00 commensurate with education and experience
Bachelor’s degree in clinical microbiology or other biology-related field or a bachelor’s degree in another field with related veterinary experience, and one year of relevant laboratory experience.
A bachelor’s degree (Microbiology, Biology, Molecular Biology, or related field) and 4 years of relevant laboratory work experience are highly preferred. Knowledge of infectious disorders is preferred. knowledge in the scientific method, aseptic technique, and microbiological principles
Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter, resume, and credentials.
This is a CARE position offering limited benefits including health insurance and paid time off.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
This position has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply.
Health Assessment Required:No
Advertised: 16 Sep 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 30 Sep 2021 Eastern Daylight Time