Associate Dean of Graduate StudiesPosition Number :
946131Vacancy Open to :
All Candidates Department :
AAH Graduate SchoolDepartment Homepage :
gradschool.ecu.eduAdvertising Department :
GRADUATE SCHOOLDivision :
Academic AffairsClassification Title :
Associate DeanWorking Title :
Associate Dean of Graduate Studies Number of Vacancies :
1Full Time Equivalent (FTE) :
1.0Full Time or Part Time :
Full TimeRecruitment Range:
Commensurate with QualificationsPosition Location (City) :
SAAO Tier IIJob Category :
Non-Faculty Instructional & ResearchOrganizational Unit Overview:
The Graduate School is the unit responsible for the recruitment, admission and retention of all post-baccalaureate, masters, Ed.D. and Ph.D. programs at East Carolina University. The Associate Dean is responsible for directing the day-to-day operation of the Graduate School. Responsibilities include overseeing all aspects of the Graduate School’s administrative functions: admissions, registration, assistantship appointments, student services, and certification of students for graduation. The Associate Dean advises and assists the Dean in the development of the Graduate School’s strategic plans, policies and management processes. The Associate Dean reports to the Dean for Graduate Studies, providing senior-level support on all matters related to graduate education at East Carolina University. Job Duties :
The Associate Dean:
- Assists in the development and management of the operating budget for the Graduate School office.
- Advises and assists the Dean in the development of the Graduate School’s strategic plans and policies.
- Chairs many of the standing administrative committees of the Graduate School.
- Chairs meetings of the Graduate School Administrative Board and the Graduate Faculty Assembly in the absence of the Dean and serves as the representative for the Dean on many senior level university committees.
- Organizes and oversees the ECU’s annual Research Week event. Oversees, coordinates and facilitates graduate program reviews in cooperation with the university’s program review process.
- Interprets Graduate School policy for both academic departments and students.
- Mediates student appeals and counsels graduate students on academic matters.
- Oversees collection and analysis of a survey of graduate student satisfaction.
- Disseminates the Graduate School’s admissions and enrollment statistics to various on- and off-campus constituencies.
- Assists in the preparation of the Graduate School’s annual report.
- Edits a number of publications including the Graduate School Catalog, the Manual of Basic Requirements for Theses and Dissertations, the Handbook of Policies and Conduct Codes, and the Graduate Handbook for Unit Program Directors.
- Approves all assistantship appointments and makes other discretionary financial awards to graduate students.
The Associate Dean works collaboratively so support the Assistant Dean in the development of graduate student recruiting strategies and support services, including Fall orientation programs for new graduate students and new teaching assistants, promotional materials, including web site content, and coordinates overall recruitment of graduate students both nationally and internationally. The Associate Dean must have excellent organizational and communication skills as well as sound judgment and the ability to manage a complex office environment, including the supervision of staff and graduate assistants.Minimum Education/Experience :
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation :
- Master’s degree
- Documented experience in administration of graduate programs at the master’s level and doctoral level
- Commitment to support of affirmative action, diversity in an academic environment
- Strong collaborative and facilitative skills within an university community
- Established record of effectiveness beyond the unit level with experience in strategic planning, budgetary management, administrative processes, academic policy and staff recruitment/retention
N/APreferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education :Special Instructions to Applicant :
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. Candidates must also submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references, including contact information, online.Additional Instructions to Applicant:
2-3 original letters of reference are required for employment. Please be aware that if selected as a candidate of choice, an automatic e-mail will be sent to the individuals entered in the References section of the PeopleAdmin applicant tracking system. Letters of reference submitted via the PeopleAdmin applicant tracking system will be verified and considered towards meeting this requirement.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.Job Open Date :
08/20/2021Open Until Filled:
YesInitial Screening Begins :
09/03/2021Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting :
East Carolina University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and seeks to create an environment that fosters the recruitment and retention of a more diverse student body, faculty, staff and administration. We encourage qualified applicants from women, minorities, veterans, individuals with a disability, and historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, color, genetic information, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, political affiliation, or veteran status.Eligibility for Employment :
Individuals requesting accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) should contact the Department of Human Resources at (252) 737-1018 (Voice/TTY) or [email protected].
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. ECU participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.Office of Human Resources Contact Information :
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (252) 328-9847 or toll free at 1-866-489-1740 or send an email to [email protected] Our office is available to provide assistance Monday-Friday from 8:00-5:00 EST.