The Southern Illinois University Foundation invites applications for the Director of Development for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. This position will lead fundraising efforts for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) from established donors while identifying new prospective donors. Manage and grow a portfolio of current and prospective donors for SIU's top DEI initiatives. The portfolio will include individuals and foundations. This position will work with the Vice Chancellor of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and the SIU Foundation Chief Executive Officer in the creation and implementation of short-term and long-term fundraising goals and objectives for DEI. The salary for this position is commensurate with experience with both internal equity and external competitiveness.
- Assist with written case statements supporting key DEI programs and projects. Travel to identify, cultivate, and solicit prospects for DEI giving opportunities.
- Utilize development team meetings to highlight upcoming opportunities for donor outreach/engagement and identify supports needed.
- Provide liaison support between the Executive Director for Advancement Services and development officers to better integrate data, prospect research and portfolio management best practices.
- Strengthen understanding of supports/resources needed to achieve Foundation and individual professional goals.
- Orchestrate and execute the advancement of relationships with prospective donors through appropriate stages of qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship culminating in private philanthropic support.
- Identify and establish personal contact with current and prospective major gift donors whose interest and financial capacity have the greatest likelihood of meeting University and Unit fundraising goals.
- Become familiar with and understand key initiatives of the university relating to faculty, students, instruction and research.
- Secure at least one million annually in new gifts and commitments for SIU.
- Prepare proposals and gift agreements as required for proper gift documentation.
- Ensure effective records maintenance, including timely filing of requests for prospect assignments, prospect strategies and contact reports using SIU Foundation’s prospect management system (Blackbaud Raiser's Edge and Raiser's Edge NXT).
- Travel, including nights and weekends, required.
- Use good judgement, diplomacy, maintain confidentiality, and represent the university with tact and diplomacy at all times.
- Report regularly on the progress toward annual action plans.
- Protect confidential information.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree and a minimum of five years' successful professional fundraising experience or related non-profit organization work, alumni relations, sales, marketing, or closely-related field. Well-versed in advancement strategies including best practices related to development at institutions of higher education. Commitment to cultural diversity and equal opportunity through demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities in diversity and cultural competency.
Preferred Qualifications: Documented success as a major gift officer in higher education.
Direct experience working with faculty leaders.