At Unity, sustainability isn’t a buzzword. It’s the foundation of our entire approach and has been for more than 50 years. We apply sustainability principles to everything we do, from our properties around the State of Maine, to our online degrees offered to students everywhere, to our enrichment experiences and entrepreneurial endeavors at locations from northern Maine to Arizona to Brazil. Engage with Unity College and you’ll start to ask tough questions, challenge the status quo, and envision new possibilities. If taking the lead in creating a more sustainable future sounds like the future you want, we can make it happen.
Reporting to the Director of Information Technology (IT), and working closely with the Systems Analyst, the Software Developer is responsible for development, design and implementation of new or modified functional software solutions to meet ongoing business needs. The Software Developer engages in all phases of the software development lifecycle - including: gathering and analyzing business system requirements, developing and testing new software solutions, resolving bugs, responding to service issues and creating system documentation. The Software Developer works with other developers, solution architects and systems analysts on the information technology team, as well as internal clients and product managers throughout the software development life cycle.
The Software Developer is a team player with a keen eye for detail and great problem-solving and troubleshooting skills. The Software Developer may participate in design meetings and consult with clients to refine, test and debug programs to meet business needs and interact with third party partners in the achievement of business and technology initiatives. T
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Provide support for and maintenance of existing line of business software solutions.
- Design, develop and support new software functionalities within new and existing solutions.
- Integrate data between multiple applications, services, and databases.
- Develop and maintain SQL queries, stored procedures, views and functions.
- Communicate with team members to identify road blocks and deliver functional outcomes to meet development requirements and business goals.
- Develop new features and functions that interact with legacy code.
- Work with other developers to design algorithms, flowcharts, code and associated documentation.
- Produce clean, efficient and secure code based on provided specifications and industry best practices.
- Integrate custom software solutions with third-party programs and off the shelf software.
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing software for technical problems and performance improvement.
- Gather and evaluate user feedback.
- Create technical documentation for reference and reporting.
- Multi-task and change from one task to another without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures with leadership.
- Other duties as assigned.
UNITY COLLEGE INSTITUTIONAL RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Demonstrates commitment to Unity College’s core values and serves as a role model for the College’s standards of conduct.
- Contributes to the College’s commitment to sustainability and contributes to the College’s commitment to support a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment.
- Follows safety and infection control policies while assisting with their enforcement.
- Assumes responsibility to maintain and upgrade professional knowledge and skills with regulations, industry trends, current practices, new developments, and applicable laws. In addition to actively participating in Unity College Professional Development days and Unity College required annual trainings.
- Demonstrates a high degree of commitment to customer service and student success.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this position you must be able to execute each of the position specific responsibilities while meeting the position expectations.
Additionally, the position specific education, skills and competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability needed. Reasonable accommodations may be made upon approval by the supervisor and Director of Human Resources, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
POSITION SPECIFIC EDUCATION, SKILLS AND COMPENTCIES:
- High School or equivalent GED diploma plus:
- Ability to continually evolve/improve productivity and environment and learn new development trends/practices.
- Skilled in at least one .net language (VB or C#).
- Applicable database development skills – MSSQL preferred.
- Ability to learn new languages and technologies.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good organizational and planning skills, including the ability to take tasks through to completion.
- Commitment to excellent customer service and product development.
- Strong problem analysis and decision-making ability.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being discreet, courteous and well poised.
- College degree in Computer Science, IT, Engineering, or related discipline – experience can be substituted for a degree.
- 2+ years development experience - preferred 1+ years VB.Net and/or C# - experience can be substituted for a degree.
- 2+ years of experience in application database design and development - MSSQL preferred - experience can be substituted for a degree.