Maintenance Mechanic, Plumbing and Electrical ShopLocation:
Clinton, NYOpen Date:
Aug 18, 2021Description:
A Maintenance Mechanic in the Plumbing and Electrical Shop is responsible for ensuring the maintenance and safe compliance of all assigned Hamilton College Buildings and Infrastructure. This position provides general maintenance as well as a variety of new installations on campus. Expectations include: developing best practices, monitoring performance and maintaining the highest achievable building standards.
We expect each employee to act in a professional manner and to comply with the college’s Community Values. We expect that each employee will share the common values of respect and decency toward one another, as outlined in the college’s Strategic Plan.
- Works as directed by the Maintenance Mechanic Foreman, Supervisor and/or Manager of Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Systems.
- Maintains all mechanical, electrical or plumbing equipment of the College.
- Responsible for maintaining the water distribution system, pumping station, water mains, valves and building plumbing systems.
- Document and perform tests to fire hydrants, backflow devices and sprinkler systems.
- Performs minor renovation work including rough-in to finish work. Makes repairs and installs copper, galvanized, cast, PVC or glass piping in addition to major water mains, valves and hydrants.
- Maintains all electrical aspects of the campus including the fire alarm systems, street lights, and underground systems, outside building lights, building electrical circuits, medium voltage substations, emergency generators and transfer switches.
- Have a complete and thorough understanding of how to develop and maintain proper electrical maintenance records.
- Responds to emergency calls at all hours to correct problems in mechanical and/or electrical systems.
- Performs daily duties as outlined by a preventative maintenance program such as the periodic inspection of all accessible utility lines in buildings and in underground conduit and tunnel systems. Reports any major malfunctions or deterioration of equipment to Foreman, Manager or Work Control Secretary. Maintains records of service problems encountered.
- Keeps appearance of equipment and building work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
- Maintains all food service equipment and appliances belonging to the College.
- Experience with fire alarm systems including all aspects of programing and trouble shooting
- Experienced in electronic door security and gates
- Extensive experience in plumbing systems including installing, repairing and maintaining back flow preventers, fire hydrants, chemical injection systems and pumps
- Familiar with door controllers
- Knowledgeable with lighting system controls and programing
- Strong understanding and appreciation for plumbing
- Have diagnostics experience with emergency generators
- Perform other duties at the discretion of management.
High school diploma or equivalent. A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in Plumbing/Mechanical Systems. Basic knowledge in the following fields: heating, electrical, plumbing. Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in any two fields. Equivalent combination of education, experience and certifications will be considered.
Must possess a valid Driver’s License.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Good working knowledge of National Electric Code and residential and light commercial installation, and of N.Y.S. Plumbing Code.
- Ability to operate all power tools and hand equipment.
- Willingness to further knowledge and expertise in field through training and course work.
- Ability to understand and effectively follow both oral and written instructions.
- Ability to recognize and select appropriate materials for assigned projects.
- Ability to maintain cooperative, professional, and respectful working relationships with all employees, contractors, vendors, and business partners of the college.
- Ability to work independently or in a team oriented environment.
- Problem solving and time management skills.
- Additional Mechanical Aptitude
- Vending controls
- Appliance repairs
- Domestic water testing
- Swimming pool testing
Please submit cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.