: Counseling CenterLocations:
: Binghamton, NYPosted:
: Aug 18, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-timeRef. No.:
: 00061Position ID:
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 18,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.
Budget Title: Senior Counselor (SL-4) 10 months, college-year appointment
Salary: Commensurate with experience and credentials
Binghamton University's Counseling Center (UCC) seeks a Senior Counselor for a full-time 10-month renewable position with benefits for a counselor providing mental health counseling services to a culturally diverse student population. This is a generalist position serving students with a wide range of issues with strong preference given to applicants with interest and experience in multicultural counseling. Early career applicants are welcome. Duties of the position include short-term individual and group counseling, crisis work, assessment, consultation, outreach, psycho-educational workshops, liaison/consultant relationships, and possibly clinical supervision and training of interns. The position will at times require consultation or outreach outside of core business hours. All clinical staff positions involve some administrative duties and roles. The State University of New York and Binghamton University are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers.
- Master's degree in mental health or related field, or in a doctoral program in mental health or related field with expected graduation no greater than 1 year from date of hire.
- Licensure or eligibility for licensure to practice in New York, which could include being in final year of doctoral supervision toward licensure.
- Generalist clinical skills and experience in assessing and intervening with a range of disorders, concerns, and degrees of pathology in treatment.
- Strong multicultural awareness, knowledge, understanding, responsiveness, and skills to work with culturally diverse student populations.
- Willingness to work in a time-limited model of care.
- Ability to handle a busy caseload in a dynamic environment.
- Availability and willingness to participate in occasional evening or weekend activities.
- Proficiency in oral and written communication skills, giving presentations, and leading group discussions.
- Strong work ethic and a willingness to collaborate.
- Commitment to a developmental philosophy toward both clients and trainees.
- Ability to handle spontaneous work demands while undertaking projects that require advance planning.
- Commitment to a proactive student development perspective involving an active relationship with the campus community.
- Team-oriented, "user-friendly" approach to students and university staff.
- Strong preference will be given to applicants with interest and experience in multicultural counseling.
- Advanced mental health license or credential: LCSW, LMHC, LMFT, or related advanced license; or Doctorate in Counseling Psychology, Clinical Psychology, or related field. ABD's will be considered; doctoral supervision for licensure can be provided.
- Experience in a university or college counseling center setting.
- Active participation in relevant professional organizations.
Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Payroll information can be found on our website https://www.binghamton.edu/offices/human-resources/payroll/
Cover letters may be addressed "To the Search Committee."
Postings active on the website, accept applications until closure.
For information on the Dual Career Program, please visit:
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
As required by Title IX and its implementing regulations Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
Deadline for Internal Applicants: 09/02/2021
Deadline for External Applicants: Open until filled
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the vacancy is filled.
Persons interested in this position should apply online.
- Cover letter, and
- Contact information for three professional references
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.