Ideal Candidate Statement:
Ohlone College seeks to employ faculty members who have a passion for teaching and learning and a strong commitment to the missions and ideals of the community college. We are looking for excellent teachers who are student-oriented in their approach and dedicated to student success. An ideal candidate will be skilled in generating student engagement in learning. Innovative teaching strategies are encouraged at Ohlone, including collaborative learning and the active use of technology. Continuous professional development is highly valued. We are looking for faculty with enthusiastic interest in curriculum and instructional improvement through ongoing critical thinking about student learning outcomes in courses and programs. Position:
The ideal Ohlone faculty member will have strong leadership skills and an interest in active participation in college-wide activities. Excellent communication skills with students, staff and faculty peers are essential. We are looking for faculty who are flexible in their work and adaptable to change. Ohlone prides itself as a Learning College with the motto of “A World of Cultures United in Learning” and we are looking for faculty who embrace diversity in serving students of varied backgrounds and learning styles. The College is committed to environmental sustainability and looks to all employees to support this important goal.
Teach part-time in the Theatre and Dance Department. Primary location will be at Washington High School.Duties and Responsibilities:
● At Washington High School, teach 7th period Stagecraft class 5-12 hours per week. Desirable Qualifications:
● Supervise the set construction and technical needs of two full productions a year (Fall Play and Spring Musical).
● Responsible for care and upkeep of the Following Facilities: Scene Shop (large powertools, paints, chemicals, wood storage, electric cart for transporting scenery); Storage Hallway (flats, tools, hardware, props, misc.); Valhalla Theater – 350 seat proscenium stage (stage, rigging, sound station, lighting booth, lighting equipment, sound equipment); Seven metal large shipping containers located throughout the campus (large props, platforms, furniture, etc.).
● Ability to construct scenery in methods used in the theater industry. Minimum Qualifications:
● Knowledge of advanced construction techniques.
● Ability to teach students how to use hand and power tools.
● Ability to teach safety practices.
● Ability to generate designs for shows.
● Ability to generate construction drawings for students use.
● Management of stock scenery.
● Basic knowledge of construction of scenery, lighting, sound, costuming, makeup, props and prop construction, stage management, scenic art, design of all types.
● Ability to coordinate many students with different tasks at the same time.
1. Any Bachelor’s Degree and two years professional experience OR any Associate Degree and six years professional experience AND Starting Salary Range:
2. Commitment to community college goals/objectives of providing quality programs and services for culturally, socio-economically, ethnically, and academically diverse students and students with disabilities; personal qualities to work effectively and with sensitivity in a multicultural environment; awareness of and commitment to the needs of non-traditional and/or re-entry students with diverse abilities and interests.
Salary Range Hourly Lecture: $72.76-$108.77; Hourly Lab: $62.47-$93.39 DOENumber of Vacancies:
1Desired Start Date:
08/16/2021Open Until Filled:
If you do not meet minimum qualifications as stated, a completed equivalency portfolio with all related documents must accompany the application or your packet will not be considered. The equivalency form can be found on our website at: https://vle456.wixsite.com/ohloneForeign Transcripts:
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline.Benefits Statement:
1. College Tuition Waiver for employees and qualified dependents. Immigration Reform & Control Act of 1986:
2. Participation in 403B/457 Retirement Plan.
3. Participation in Cash Balance and STRS Defined Benefit Retirement Plan.
Applicants selected for positions will be required to provide identification and employment eligibility as outlined in the federal “Immigration Reform & Control Act of 1986.”District Statement:
A multi-campus single community college district, Ohlone College is located in the southern portion of the San Francisco Bay in California; serving 12,000 students per year. The District has a main campus in the City of Fremont and a newly constructed campus in the City of Newark. Ohlone College is an ethnically diverse institution that promotes innovation and continuous improvement in departments and divisions. The College is named for the native population living in the area when Mission San Jose was founded. The Fremont campus is located just south of the historical Mission. The Newark Campus is located near Interstate 880 and emphasizes programs in health, environment, and technology.EEO Statement:
The District is strongly committed to the principles of equal opportunity and to hiring qualified staff who reflect the diversity of our community. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, age (40 or over), medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, disability, military and veteran status, pregnancy/childbirth/breastfeeding or related medical condition or any other protected basis in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. The college encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Conditions of Employment:
If you have a disability and are in need of special services, equipment, or facilities in order to apply or interview for this opening, please call the Human Resources office at: (510) 659-6088.
Offers of employment are contingent upon Governing Board approval. Employment with Ohlone Community College is not complete or official until applicants meet all pre-employment requirements. All new employees are required to submit official transcripts and proof of freedom from tuberculosis. In addition you will be required to provide identification and employment eligibility as outlined in the federal “Immigration Reform & Control Act of 1986.” Pre-employment tests and/or medical examinations may be required. Ohlone Community College does not sponsor H1B visas. Employees must sign the Oath or Affirmation of Allegiance and submit fingerprints for CA Department of Justice clearance. Employees must be California residents on their date of hire and for the duration of their employment with Ohlone Community College District.