Postdoctoral Fellow Location:
Augusta University Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Department Information The Department of Neuroscience and Regenerative Medicine is charged with conducting high-impact original biomedical research and translating the findings to clinical applications, and in educating future physicians and researchers. Our research addresses fundamental questions in neuroscience, cell and developmental biology, endocrinology, and regenerative medicine. Collaborations have been established with clinical departments for studies that investigate various diseases including neurological diseases (stroke, epilepsy, muscular dystrophy, and Guillain-Barre syndrome); psychiatric disorders (schizophrenia and autism); degenerative diseases (osteoporosis); cancer; and endocrinological disorders.Required Qualifications Ph.D. or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university.Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Ability to maintain confidentiality
Deatil-oriented with strong organizational skills
Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
Ability to work independently, complete work and meet deadlines
Proficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software/databases or willingness to learn
Highly motivated and committed to achieving excellence in the form of productivity and publicationsResponsibilities A position is available immediately to investigate the cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying Parkinson's disease, and mechanisms that are in common between Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases. This work will be primarily conducted using C. elegans nematodes, but may also involve cell culture, mouse tissue, and/or human patient samples. Candidates should have PhD or equivalent degree in life sciences and be self-motivated for high-quality research. Background in neuroscience, physiology, and/or molecular and cellular biology is strongly preferred. Background in C. elegans research is ideal but not required. The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in project planning and development of research protocols while insuring adherence to accepted scientific research principles and compliance with relevant federal guidelines. Perform a variety of experimental studies including animal behavior, cell biology and molecular biology experiments. Experiments may include but not be limited to performing animal surgery, microinjection, behavioral testing, genotyping, western blot, real-time PCR, immunohistochemistry and various microscopy and imaging techniques. Analyze results of experiments and procedures using manual or computer techniques and, if necessary, develop special computer programs to facilitate analysis.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of students, graduate assistants and other research personnel engaged in research activities and/or related laboratory work. Advise principal investigators, other postdocs, students and other research techniques, procedures and other technological aspects of research activities.
- Coordinate and participate in research of scientific literature; summarize and evaluate findings; develop derivative applications of techniques developed by own research activities or reported by other research projects. Present findings at scientific meetings locally, nationally and internationally.
- Compose articles for publication in scientific journals; review articles prepared by others.
- Operate microscopes, computer-linked analytical equipment, dedicated computers and other complex scientific equipment; instruct others in operation of equipment.
- Perform all other related duties/tasks as assigned.
Shift/Salary Shift: Days/M-F (work outside of the normal business hours will likely be required of an employee in an exempt level position) Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position Recruitment Period: 8/19/2021 until filledConditions of Employment All candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University.
All employees are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of sensitive [patient, student, employee, financial, business, etc.] information by exercising sound judgment and adhering to cybersecurity and privacy policies during the course of their employment and beyond.Equal Employment Opportunity Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans.Credit Check This position will require the acquisition of a P-Card and/or handle cash, credit or other sensitive information and will require a satisfactory Consumer Credit check as a condition of employment.Other Information This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success."
Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.