Job no: 517804
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Business/Accounting/Finance, Research/Scientific/Grants
Department:11110000 - RE-CG ACCOUNTING SERVICES
Grants Accountant I
- Performs awards set up and modification of existing awards. Interprets and reviews award documents from federal, state, for profit, and non-profit sponsors.
- Interpretation includes:
- (1) Determining the proper award payment type (fixed fee, cost reimbursable, etc.)
- (2) Ascertaining the type of award (contract, grant, cooperative agreement, etc.)
- (3) establishing an appropriate billing and review schedule to ensure proper award administration
- Review includes:
- (1) verifying the accuracy of the NOA and award profile
- (2) communicating any inconsistencies or inaccuracies with appropriate DSP and/or departmental staff, and ensuring corrections are made
- (3) Capturing important restrictions or requirements for budget reallocation, closeout procedure, deliverable schedule, final reports (technical, financial, and/or property)
- Generates the award
- Releases the budget; provides the department with spending authority
- Ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal government regulations, circulars and sponsor-specific instructions through the use of a series of comprehensive software packages (database, University financial system)
- Communicates with DSP, sponsor, or department to request clarification, additional information, or alterations.
- Produces customized reports and queries to verify all charges are appropriate. Regularly updates revenue status for each project. Reconciles the three ledger groups. Consults with the department regarding improper findings, such as negative balances, over-expenditures, etc. Maintains a project file with all associated backup documentation.
- Provides financial information to other departments to ensure proper joint award management. Communicates with PIs, Departmental representatives, sponsor representatives, and others in a courteous and professional manner to resolve problems, communicate changes, and seek or provide guidance. Monitors awards for compliance with University, state, and federal rules and regulations, and any sponsor-imposed restrictions.
- Prepares and submits invoices and reports. Selects the proper invoice and/or financial report forms.
- Verifies the accuracy and completeness of all information on the invoice. Gathers necessary back-up documentation, reports, or certifications to support invoices and/or financial reports as required by sponsor.
- Performs all activities related to closeout. Prepares and sends pre-close memo, final expenditure, and cost sharing letters as needed. Performs A/R Audit.
- Verifies that all proper payments were applied to the project. Closes budget. Refunds sponsor if necessary based on award terms and conditions. Transfers residual funds into the appropriate residual project as necessary. Verifies that there are no inappropriate or unallowable expenditures.
- Informs the department of open encumbrances and confirms that all encumbrances have been cleared. Alters the status of a myriad of functional applications within the financial system. Generates final Departmental Ledger. Sends final invoice after verifying final expenditure figure with department and PI. Funds subprojects as necessary through the use of direct journaling.
- Reviews and approves multiple types of budget and expenditure transfers (budget transfers, E2Es, cash expense refunds, F&A adjustments, etc.). Process budget transfers in the University’s financial system.
- Participates in trainings and meetings. Participates in ongoing, continuous quality improvement. Reviews journal articles associated with improving efficiencies and providing quality customer service. Enhances area-specific knowledge by attending training sessions, seminars, and meetings. Tests new processes for widespread implementation in multiple facets of the job (cost sharing and award set-up). Actively participates in on-going listserv communications. Reviews OMB circulars and other federal regulations.
- Communicate relevant information to the departments and provide instruction and guidance concerning proper procedures as necessary.
- Performs all activities related to collections. Reviews Aging Report for overdue accounts.
- Reconciles A/R and Billing status in order to determine amount past due. Informs the department of the status of the overdue account, if necessary. Performs collections activities for past due debts. Communicates the debt obligation to the appropriate fiscal representative through telephone calls, emails, and other forms of correspondence. Records communications. Follows up on remaining past due obligations. Appropriately escalates any delinquent payments that are the result of delinquent reports or deliverable.
Expected Salary:Commensurate with education and experience.Minimum Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or other appropriate area; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to establish build and maintain working relationships with campus and funding agency representatives. Candidates must have excellent written and oral communication skills and be customer service oriented.
Ability to function under highly stressful circumstances.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Candidates must have excellent written and oral communication skills and be customer service oriented. Knowledge of electronic research administration software preferred.
In order to be considered, applicants must provide a cover letter, resume, and a list of professional references.
A criminal background check is required.
This is not a remote work position, and it is located on the University of Florida main campus in Gainesville, FL.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not apply.
Health Assessment Required:No
Advertised: 22 Sep 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 06 Oct 2021 Eastern Daylight Time