Online Adjunct Faculty - Social Media & Emerging Technology (79193)Location:
Remote (USA)Open Date:
Aug 12, 2021Description:
Join the faculty of U.S. News and World Report’s 6th ranked U.S. public university at an exciting time of growth and opportunity. The online graduate program within the College of Journalism and Communications (UF CJC Online) seeks to find a qualified instructor for our course MMC6726: Social Media and Emerging Technology taught in our 100% online Master of Arts in Mass Communication program. This is a non-tenure accruing position.
Since 2012, UF CJC Online has transformed lives through graduate education founded in theory and influenced by industry. We offer the most comprehensive, digitally focused online graduate programs in the world. Students choose from eight master’s specializations and four graduate certificates that offer unparalleled opportunities for professional growth and advancement. UF CJC Online’s flexible programs are demanding by design and competitive by nature. Equipped with the skills needed to move communication forward, UF CJC Online graduates are an unstoppable force for the Gator Good.
Our program offers courses in a traditional fall/spring format (15-weeks each) and one summer semester (12-weeks). Learn more about our program at: https://onlinemasters.jou.ufl.edu/.
The College of Journalism and Communications understands the importance of diversity as a contribution to the industries of journalism and communication in our increasingly multicultural nation and globalized marketplace. We value diversity and the development of competence in intercultural communication and behavior for all who are a part of our College, industry and society. We are committed to incorporating diversity and inclusiveness in our faculty, staff, students, curriculum, research, immersion properties and culture.
MMC6726: Social Media and Emerging Technology
In this course, the students will research, identify, and analyze new social media platforms and emerging technologies related to social media. The examination of the platforms and technologies will include artificial intelligence, virtual reality, augmented reality, gamification, eSports, and more. Recognizing how innovations are adopted, the students will create a process for the critical evaluation of new technologies as well as the implications of the social and ethical impact of the technologies. Finally, the students will complete a comprehensive research report on a new technology of their choice and investigate how that technology will impact, or be impacted by, social media.
*PREREQUISITES: MMC5636 Introduction to Social Media
- Identify diverse emerging technologies.
- Assess the practical applications of new media.
- Explain the advantages, challenges, and concerns surrounding new technologies.
- Describe how new technologies will impact, or be impacted by, social media.
- Analyze emerging technologies and media from multiple perspectives including cultural, economic, historical, philosophical, political, legal, psychological, and sociological.
- Develop a critical and reflective approach to everyday mediated technology and social media experiences.
- Discuss the ethical and social justice dimensions of digital communication technologies at local and global scales.
Basic Instructor Expectations:
- Prepare all course materials prior to the start of each semester.
- Meet Quality Assurance standards for course design.
- Take ownership of course material and make updates to content and assignments to ensure the information is current and accurate.
- Proactively engage with students throughout each week through meaningful activities that promote student academic growth.
- Engage with students in a professional and respectful manner. Promote a positive learning environment.
- Provide individualized, supportive and meaningful assignment feedback to further student learning.
- Provide students with clear assignment expectations including directions, rubrics and samples if necessary.
- Reply to student and staff inquiries within 48 hours.
- Grade all student work within 10-days of the assignment’s due date or within 10-days of the submission date if the assignment was submitted late.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Master’s Degree required. Terminal degree a plus.
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in a directly related field. 5+ years preferred.
- Minimum 3 years teaching experience in higher education. Online and/or graduate level teaching experience a plus.
- Experience with Canvas LMS preferred.
- Diversity and inclusion make our program stronger, and so we seek applications and nominations from a broad spectrum of individuals, including women, veterans, persons of diverse backgrounds and persons with disabilities.
Please submit the following materials with your application:
- Cover Letter (Required)
- Resume or CV (Required)
- Teaching Philosophy Statement (Optional)
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff.
The University of Florida is An Equal Employment Opportunity Institution. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.