The English for Academic Purposes Program at NYU Shanghai invites applications for full-time Lecturer positions to teach English for Academic Purposes to academically outstanding students from across China. Priority deadline for this position is January 10, 2022 (China Standard Time). Review of applications will continue until positions are filled.
Designed as thematically-focused freshman seminars, these advanced courses will teach integrated skills (reading, writing, speaking, listening), with an emphasis on academic speaking and listening. Lecturers teach six sections (or their equivalent) in a two-semester course sequence (3 sections/semester). You may read more about the program curriculum on our website. In addition to teaching, EAP faculty attend program and university-wide meetings, participate in institutional service, and may continue ongoing research and practice in their academic or creative fields. Appointments are for 3 years effective September 1, 2022; contracts are renewable.
NYU Shanghai is looking for demonstrated excellence in university-level teaching. Candidates should be creative individuals who are flexible, outgoing, open to new environments, and respectful of diverse backgrounds and learning styles.
● Four years teaching university-level EAP/ESL courses
● Experience working with students from diverse cultural and language backgrounds
● Specialized experience teaching content-based speaking and listening
● Master’s degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics or a related field
● Two years teaching university-level EAP/ESL courses (Due to Chinese visa regulations, these two years must constitute 24 months of full-time teaching following receipt of a Master’s degree.)
● The ability to design a thematic liberal arts style seminar according to CBLI principles
Required application materials:
● Cover letter describing your experience relevant to the position
● Current CV, including a list of 3 references with name, title, and contact information.
● One-page teaching philosophy
Candidates who move forward in the interview process will be asked to provide the following supplemental application materials:
● 3 letters of recommendation; the letters should speak to teaching experience and effectiveness
- One-page sample course description, outlining a thematic focus you would like to teach and the integration of language skills into that focus
● References for 5 texts (essays, readings, videos) you would incorporate into the syllabus
To apply, please follow this link apply.interfolio.com/91896. Please visit our website via this link for other information. If you have any questions, please e-mail [email protected].
About NYU Shanghai:
NYU Shanghai is the third degree-granting campus within New York University’s global network. It is the first higher education joint venture in China authorized to grant degrees that are accredited in the U.S. as well as in China. All teaching is conducted in English. A research university with liberal arts and science at its core, NYU Shanghai resides in one of the world's great cities with a vibrant intellectual community. NYU Shanghai recruits scholars of the highest caliber who are committed to NYU's global vision of transformative teaching and innovative research and who embody the global society in which we live.
NYU’s global network includes degree-granting campuses in New York, Shanghai, and Abu Dhabi, complemented by eleven additional academic centers across five continents. Faculty and students circulate within the network in pursuit of common research interests and cross-cultural, interdisciplinary endeavors, both local and global.
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr.
NYU Shanghai is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from under-represented individuals in the profession, across color, creed, race, ethnic and national origin, physical ability, and gender and sexual identity. NYU Shanghai affirms the value of differing perspectives on the world as we strive to build the strongest possible university with the widest reach.