The core responsibility of the Publications Coordinator will be to develop and maintain content for presentations and publications that support strategic reporting and institutional data and information needs. This is a University Academic Professional appointment reporting to the Senior Strategic Writer in the office of Institutional Research and Decision Support (IRDS).
The person in this position will:
- Create, maintain, and regularly update a master presentation deck comprised of institutional, comparative, and research data.
- Coordinate and manage data learning sessions and occasional
- writing/communications sessions for a variety of cross-campus audiences. Respond to requests for fact-checking for cross-campus publications and provide guidance on the presentation and interpretation of data.
- Design infographics and other visuals that engage audiences and aid their understanding and utilization of the content.
- Communicate findings from research studies through briefings and reports and provide project management support throughout the research process.
- Provide support with grant and institutional award applications, presentations for executive leadership, and other projects.
- Contribute to the advancement and enhancement of VCU’s data culture and be a leader in developing and implementing creative and innovative communications strategies and tactics that support the university’s strategic plan.
- Coordinate web content updates
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Bachelors required with a major in English, graphic design, communications, mathematics, social sciences disciplines, or related majors with strong communications and analytical skills.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience working in communications and/or working with communicating complex information to a variety of audiences.
- Experience with managing multiple collaborative projects while adhering to deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience writing and designing effective publications and/or presentations.
- Demonstrated experience in identifying, developing, and implementing communications strategies for a variety of audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills. Strong organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail.
- Ability to take initiative when working independently while also working effectively in a team environment with people who have a diverse array of experiences and backgrounds.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Familiarity with and experience in working in a complex university setting. Hands on experience with data visualization.
- Experience producing research publications.
- Experience with web content management.
- Working knowledge or higher in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and/or Photoshop. Strong understanding of APA and AP style.