School of Medicine – Department of Anesthesiology
Job Code: 1438
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at:Anschutz: https://www.ucdenver.edu/docs/librariesprovider284/default-document-library/3000-general-admission/3012---covid-19-vaccination-requirement-and-compliance.pdf?sfvrsn=4e9df3ba_2
Exemptions vary by campus location/department. Campus/Unit-Specific Exemptions:
- Anschutz Campus – Exemptions are allowed for medical or religious reasons.
- Consolidated/Central Services Administration – Will follow Anschutz policy on exemptions.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.Nature of Work
As a Post-Doctoral fellow in the Department of Anesthesiology you will be expected to perform research, analyze data and publish manuscripts in the field of neurotoxicity of general anesthetics using electron microscopy technique, perform immunohistochemical and biochemical experiments and/or in vivo behavioral studies using different animals species and models. You will be under guidance and supervision of Dr. Jevtovic-Todorovic and the manager of her laboratory, Dr. Quillinan. To perform your experiments and conduct your studies you should be willing to work with alive animals and be able to handle them as required for your experiments. You will have access to state-of-the-art equipment as well as appropriate lab space in the South Research building assigned to Drs. S. Todorovic and V. Jevtovic-Todorovic. You are expected to attend Departmental Research Seminars, weekly lab meetings and national scientific meetings to present your results. Additionally, you are expected to conduct yourself in professional and collegial manner. On as needed basis you will be asked to provide instructions and guidance to graduate, undergraduate students and other new members in our laboratory. Professional Field
Neurotoxicity of general anesthetics researchExamples of Work Performed
The duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- 70% - 1st area of responsibility: We expect that you will be able to perform research, analyze data and publish manuscripts in the field of anesthetic neurotoxicity in relation to the developing brain. We expect that you will have a very high level of independence in pursuing the outlined studies. It will be your responsibility to set up and trouble shoot your experiments independently. In addition, we expect you to analyze the data, thoroughly document experimental results and data using a laboratory notebook in conjunction with electronic documentation and data back-up, as well as interpretation of results in the context of the current literature, and appropriate statistical analysis. Moreover, we expect that you will be able to write manuscripts, grant applications etc. in a highly independent fashion. As such, you are expected to actively pursue working in a relatively independent manner with thorough and frequent reviews of current literature that pertains to your research topic; discuss your experimental strategies with Dr. Vesna Jevtovic-Todorovic and her research team; consider the team’s advice, guidance and leadership and apply the information obtained to improve your results.
- 15% - 2nd area of responsibility: Dr. Vesna Jevtovic-Todorovic is the direct supervisor of the laboratory and its members. Thus, Dr. Vesna Jevtovic-Todorovic will be your direct supervisor. You will meet with Dr. Vesna Jevtovic-Todorovic on a regular basis. During these meetings, research progress, planning of experiments, grants and manuscripts will be discussed. Attendance and regular presentations of your own research project is required during regular laboratory meetings.
- 15% - 3rd area of responsibility: We also expect that you will actively pursue collaborative efforts with other members of the research team, e.g. by providing your expertise and knowledge; help with the training of new team members; assist with maintaining the infrastructure of the laboratory, which may include cell/tissue culture, breathing and maintenance of animal colonies, ordering, organizing of the laboratory, etc. These activities may not be directly related to your own research projects.
The Post-Doctoral Fellow reports to the Lab Director, Dr. Vesna Jevtovic-Todorovic. Supervision Exercised
The Post-Doctoral Fellow will not supervise other employees.Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary is $53,760 - $65,292. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services
.University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees prior to their employment.The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
.Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensationDiversity and Equity:
Please contact [email protected]
for information on disability accommodationsOffice of Equity: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/equity
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- MD or PhD in the field of pharmacology, physiology, molecular biology, and/or neuroscience
- Computer software, equipment operation, or research technical skills.
- The ability to work independently within the research lab on assigned projects
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in basic and advanced laboratory techniques as well as in the research field of anesthesiology.
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire. Job Category:
- Excellent record keeping ability
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to work independently
Aug 10, 2021Unposting Date: