Job location: Remote - Virginia Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
The College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences (A&S) seeks a Director of Data Analytics and IT Support. Under the direction of the Senior Associate Dean for Administration and Planning, this position will play a key technical and professional leadership role in defining the direction and implementation of equity centered data-related projects and products to advance the critical goals of A&S. The director will have the opportunity to identify trends and developments in information technology, assess related impact on business operations, and recommend implementation of technology or services that support the strategic direction of the University.
This hands-on role will oversee the efforts within A&S and at the University level to improve practices and infrastructure for mission-focused data driven analysis, crossing multiple data types and systems, to provide equity centered insights and actionable recommendations to A&S leadership. The position will also provide leadership and management of the IT support functions provided to departments within A&S, including a team of software developers and a team of local support partners (LSP).
• Oversee the use of data and information technology across A&S, including a portfolio that includes the A&S Computing Services (ASCS) IT support team and the software development team.
• Identify and advocate for new technology to advance the capacity for mission-focused data analytics across A&S.
• Provide support to the personnel teams who maintain information/data related to faculty appointments and staff resources, serving the academic associate deans in A&S, the associate dean for diversity and inclusion, and the research administration team.
• Influence the evolution and structure of both the software developer and the LSP teams, including long-range project planning and technical architecture.
• Create and advise on the design of data models, ETL, visualizations, analytics, and business intelligence necessary to meet distributed reporting needs of the College.
• Work closely and collaboratively with the budget and finance team, helping to set priorities for the analytical work and provide access to other sources of data to connect with the budget.
• Work closely with the Director of Learning Design and Technology to support their efforts.
• Participate in the management of the complete lifecycle of enterprise data and analytics projects, including planning, design, infrastructure, implementation, release management, maintenance, support, and stabilization.
• Create high performance teams that generate innovative solutions to problems; support teams working in situations where there are conflicting deadlines, resources, and requirements.
• Create an environment where the team takes action without prompt to yield results.
• Provide technical assistance in identifying, evaluating, and developing systems and procedures currently in place to optimize internal reporting and service capabilities.
• Work with colleagues in A&S, and represent the School at the University level, on matters relating to data governance, stewardship, and quality. Improve practices and enhance infrastructure for the strategic use of data.
• Additional responsibilities as assigned.
• Substantive experience working with large, complex, and diverse data sets from multiple sources and in multiple formats.
• A proven track-record of delivering reporting solutions that meet the needs of a variety of stakeholders.
• Outstanding project management experience, including the demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent projects to completion and produce exceptional results.
• Experience providing desktop support to a broad range of employees that includes exceptional, timely, and effective customer service.
• Ability to work in a highly collaborative, matrixed environment, exercising influence and achieving results.
• Capacity to build relationships of trust with diverse stakeholders (including senior leadership, faculty, and staff) and work effectively with them.
• A high level of individual initiative and drive, balanced by an ability to take direction from others and add value to projects originating with others.
• Strong skills working with spreadsheets, presentation software, and visual analytics tools (such as Qlik Sense).
• Three to five years of experience leading a team.
• A commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Higher education experience strongly preferred.
To Apply or Nominate
UVA Executive Search Group, an internal search firm in the Office of the President, is assisting in the recruitment of the next Director of Data Analytics and IT Support.
Confidential inquiries and nominations should be directed to either Jeremy Duff, Managing Director, at email@example.com or Ashley Milligan, Search Consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, submit both a cover letter and resume through Workday. The search will be carried out with full confidentiality.
COVID Vaccination Requirement
Due to the scope of President Biden’s Executive Order 14042 issued in early September, all University employees, including remote employees, must receive their final vaccination dose by January 4, 2022, unless they have a University-approved religious or medical exemption. The University has updated policy SEC-045 to reflect these new requirements.
If hired by the Academic Division, excluding School of Medicine, School of Nursing, UVA Physicians Group, and the Health Systems Library, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination or be willing to be vaccinated by January 4, 2022. Academic employees may apply for a University-approved medical or religious exemption.
Note: Some medical and safety-sensitive positions require vaccination and are not eligible for an exemption. For more information on how vaccination requirements will apply to you, please visit the UVA New Hire Vaccination Requirements webpage.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.