Vice Dean for Diversity, Equity, and InclusionCampus:
College of Arts and SciencesDepartment:
CAS College of Arts and SciencesAdvertised Salary Range:
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.Part/Full Time:
Full TimeHours per Week:
Full-time Equivalent (FTE)Basis :
12 monthsWork County:
Tenure-Track/TenuredJob Search Category:
The University of South Carolina System is comprised of the state’s flagship university in Columbia (founded in 1801 and currently one of the top 50 “Best Colleges” according to U.S. News and World Report), three regional comprehensive universities (USC Aiken, USC Beaufort and USC Upstate), and Palmetto College consisting of four two-year campuses (USC Lancaster, USC Salkehatchie, USC Sumter, USC Union and Fort Jackson/Extended University). Together, the USC System institutions offer more than 450 degree programs on campus and online and are uniquely positioned to meet the state’s educational, cultural, health and research needs. The System employs nearly 14,000 people who work daily to improve the lives of students, fellow South Carolinians and the world. Our diverse engaged faculty and staff enjoy a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment.Diversity Statement:
At the University of South Carolina, we strive to cultivate an inclusive environment that is open, welcoming, and supportive of individuals of all backgrounds. We recognize diversity in our workforce is essential to providing academic excellence and critical to our sustainability. The University is committed to eliminating barriers created by institutional discrimination through accountability and continuous process improvement. We celebrate the diverse voices, perspectives, and experiences of our employees.Advertised Job Summary:
The College of Arts and Sciences at the University of South Carolina seeks candidates for the role of Vice Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. The person in this position will be charged with taking action to deepen and advance meaningful changes within the College of Arts and Sciences that will directly address the needs of faculty, staff, and students. The successful candidate will demonstrate a strong commitment to anti-racism, anti-sexism, anti-homophobia, anti-gender identity bias, anti-ableism, and anti-religious discrimination, as well as promoting equity for all racialized and minoritized groups. Additionally, the Vice Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will promote, expand, and enhance the diversity within the College of Arts and Sciences, the largest college at UofSC, with the explicit goal of creating an environment of inclusion, dialogue, challenge, and growth. As a dynamic leader, the successful candidate will also be expected to develop policy, strategies, and initiatives to encourage community engagement within and beyond the College with our broader off campus communities.
The Vice Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will continue the important work that has already begun at the University to name and acknowledge the legacies of systemic racism and other biases on and off campus, and to build on initiatives to increase the university’s recruitment and retention of faculty, students, and staff from underrepresented groups. This person will report directly to the Dean of the College as an essential senior member of the Dean’s leadership team. The successful candidate will also work with a network of diversity officers, including our new Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, to develop frameworks that promote equitable, transparent, accountable, and positive growth for the larger UofSC community. Anticipated start date is January 1, 2022.
- Direct strategic planning and communication around issues related to optimizing institutional culture, welcoming culture, inclusivity, equity, and diversity.
- Serve as a member of the College Academic Leadership Team and in other key leadership groups at the College and University to inspire, mentor and educate various stakeholders about diversity and inclusion issues, as well as provide input and leadership for decisions, strategic planning, and goal and policy setting that are necessary to improve academic excellence and operational efficiency, with a focus on enhancing diversity and inclusion.
- Build a diverse educational environment that is culturally competent and responsive through measures such as direct educational efforts, curricular representation, and a focus on compositional diversity, climate, curriculum, and culturally and linguistically appropriate services (CLAS).
- As part of the Senior Staff, review strategic hiring plans submitted to the College, as well as proposals for university-wide hiring and other such initiatives.
- Implement programmatic policy and guidance for continuous improvement of the culture of the College of Arts and Sciences to promote humanistic values of understanding, empathy, perspective-taking, professionalism, ethics, and inclusivity, while also providing the opportunities and tools for the necessary and challenging conversations essential to growing as a community.
- Maintains ongoing communications with the Vice-President for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as well as represent the College on the Council of Academic Diversity Officers (CADO), which directly reports to the Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs and Provost.
Additionally, the Vice Dean is called upon to represent the College at various events and functions throughout the year.Required Education and Experience:
- Demonstrated leadership role in establishing or sustaining programs or other key programs related to diversity and inclusion.
- Doctoral level education.
- Must be committed to working collaboratively with senior administration to build positive vision, direction, and results through strategic initiatives that holistically impact diversity.
Competencies for Success:
- Must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong management and planning skills; and computer literacy.
- Acts ethically and with integrity and self-awareness. The candidate adheres to the university’s values (e.g., Carolinian Creed) and interacts with others in a way that engenders confidence in them and in the organization.
- Builds partnerships and invests in the development of strategic internal and external partnerships – collaborates to reach productive agreements and foster goodwill.
- Has the ability to envision, conceptualize and articulate the diversity mission of the College and University through a broad and inclusive definition of diversity.
Credentials suitable for appointment as Professor or Associate Professor with tenure. Desired Start Date:
01/01/2022Job Open Date:
08/09/2021Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
Applicants should upload a letter of interest, a complete CV, a summary of accomplishments, experience, and vision related to this position and names and contact information, including email addresses and phone numbers, for a minimum of three references. Application materials should be submitted by 5:00 p.m. September 15, 2021 for full consideration. If you have any questions, please send an email to: LaTasha Robinson, Director of Human ResourcesCollege of Arts and Sciences[email protected] Please use ‘Vice Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’ as the subject line.Quicklink for Posting:
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.