Position Summary: The Program Chair, with the support of their direct manager, provides leadership for the assigned program(s) by articulating and executing the vision of the organization and the academics department. This position is responsible for the management of the program, overseeing the student experience and student success, and representing the department in school and industry matters. Through this role, this individual fosters growth and excellence in their faculty, in their students, and, in the school as a whole.
• Teaches course load based on business and scheduling needs
• Provides leadership to program faculty, ensuring a quality educational experience for students • Identifies, hires and trains program faculty
• Collaborates with Dean and Registrar’s Office to develop course schedules and faculty teaching assignments
• Ensures training and professional development of program faculty
• Completes faculty observations and provides coaching and feedback
• Collaborates with organizational leadership and the curriculum department to maintain program curriculum
• Proactively monitors and mentors students, providing support that results in persistence to graduation
• Monitors student academic performance and develops effective interventions as required • Effectively resolves student concerns or complaints
• Coordinate and/or participate in new student orientation, graduation and other campus events
• Assists in securing community leaders, discipline professionals, and employers to serve on the Program Advisory Board
• Facilitates Program Advisory Board meetings
• Participates in professional development activities
• Other duties as required
• Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or related field is required; master’s degree preferred
• Minimum of four years’ work experience in criminal justice
• Prior teaching experience preferred
• Proven leadership and management abilities
• Develops and presents educational materials in an engaging manner
• Demonstrate a high level of discernment and appropriate judgement
• Ability to effectively manage multiple, sometimes competing, priorities
• Project a professional image and provide outstanding customer service
• Keep commitments, meet deadlines, and achieve demanding results
• Practice excellent organizational and recordkeeping skills, with meticulous attention to detail
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Speak effectively to both large and small groups of people
• Prepare and conduct effective presentations
• Demonstrate excellent listening skills
• Cooperate and collaborate as a member of a team
• Ability to work days, evenings, and some weekends
• Use Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to prepare and maintain records, correspondence, reports and other data
Physical and Mental Requirements:
Physical Requirements: This job requires normal physical mobility, including the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. Normal hand-eye coordination; arm, hand and finger dexterity, including the ability to grasp and lift up to 40 pounds, is also required.
Mental Requirements: This job requires the ability to read, recall, write and understand information. This job also requires the ability to work under moderate pressure and to manage multiple tasks concurrently.
Environment: This job is normally performed in a clean, well-lighted, heated and cooled office area/classroom
Note: The purpose of this job description is to document the major responsibilities and duties normally required of this position. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only responsibilities or duties to be performed by incumbents. Associates are expected to follow all job related instructions and perform any other duties assigned by their supervisor(s).
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate with regard to employment, promotion, pay or place of work because of race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability or age. Employment with the Company does not constitute a contract for any specific period of time and any associate is free to resign at any time, with or without a reason, just as the Company may end an associate’s employment at any time, with or without a reason. The Company will, in compliance with the ADA, accommodate essential job functions whenever feasible.