Coordinator of Student Activities
About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Job Description:Campus Title:
Coordinator of Student ActivitiesState Job Title:
Staff Assistant Department:
Student AffairsJob Code:
Full-Time Permanent Timeframe:
52 Weeks a year Shift:
2:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m., Tuesday - Saturday (this is a live on campus position)Regular Days Off:
Sunday and MondaySupervision Received:
The Staff Assistant reports to the Assistant Director of Student Activities and New Student Orientation.Supervision Exercised:
The Staff Assistant will supervise undergraduate student staff. Salary:
$42,000.00-$44,000.00 (Salary will be commensurate with education and experience) General Statement of Duties:
The Coordinator serves as the administrative staff member responsible for assisting in planning and implementing a wide range of major student activity programs and events, New Student Orientation, Diversity and Equity Programming, and other related programs including budget, staff selection, development and evaluation, program assessment, and all other aspects of these major University programs. The Coordinator will serve as the department liaison to Student Affinity Groups and their advisors in order to develop and coordinate diversity and inclusion programming, including workshops, trainings, programmatic events. The Coordinator will assist the Department of Residential Life in the on-call duty rotation. This position includes night and weekend hours. This position is a live on position.Duties and Responsibilities:Duties include but not limited to:Essential:
- Assist in the coordination of major student activity programs and events during the academic year, through management of the Westfield After Dark Programming series. This includes budget management, developing programs and events, executing late night events and programs, chaperoning student travel, attendance tracking, and program evaluation.
- Assist in the coordination of New Student Orientation Programs for first-year and transfer students.
- Coordinate student events with a focus on diversity and inclusion. Including workshops, trainings, and interactive events.
- Coordinate the creation of Theme Month Programming Calendars each month through collaboration with campus partners.
- Serve as a point of contact and resource to SGA sponsored clubs and organizations that are affinity groups for diverse students to sponsor events. Serve as a liaison and support to affinity group advisors, and help to recruit affinity group advisors as needed.
- Coordinate the First Year Success Series programs. Coordinate budget development and administration, attendance tracking and program evaluation.
- Utilize assessments and evaluations to implement strategies to promote quality improvements, and create a variety of reports required on a daily and monthly basis.
- Develop and implement effective publicity and promotions for student, including posters, the website, email notifications and social media accounts.
- Serve in the on-call duty rotation by responding to after hours and weekend emergencies in accordance with the University and Department's emergency response procedures, and the direction of the Administrator on Call as applicable.
- Perform other duties of a related nature as assigned.
Requirements:Qualifications Required at Hire:
- Bachelor's Degree Required.
- Master's Degree Preferred.
- Ability to sustain communication with diverse groups, anticipate problems, reconcile conflicts, and maintain a strong philosophical base for student activities.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion related to a University setting, including awareness of intercultural trends and issues facing higher education.
- Demonstrated awareness and commitment to effectively establishing relationships and positive communications across multiple dimensions of diversity including, but not limited to race, gender, physical and cognitive limitations, sexual orientation, gender identity, class or religious perspectives.
- Experience in student programming and in advising student groups.
- High level of energy, enthusiasm, creativity and demonstrated sensitivity in the presence of colleagues and students.
- Knowledge of risk management as it relates to student activities.
- Proven ability to relate well with students and other campus constituents.
- Strong computer skills and publication experience, including writing and editing.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to set priorities and work independently.
- Proven experience providing exemplary customer service
- Experience working with audio-visual equipment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for this position may be found at the department of higher education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.aspDisability Accommodations:
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.Background Check:
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
Application Instructions:An on-line application is required.
The successful candidate must submit an official transcript at the time of hire. Interested candidates should electronically attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for three references *
- Copy of unofficial transcript of highest degree
* Provide the contact information for reference providers in the reference section of the online application.
Deadline: The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalists have been selected. NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=134863&CNTRNO=20&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency