06-Aug-2021 to Until Filled (EST) Fort Valley, GA, USA Full TimeEmail Me Similar JobsEmail Me This Job
FORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (FVSU), a state and land-grant institution of the University System of Georgia, invites applications for the position of Police Sergeant - Patrol in the Campus Safety and Police Department.
Fort Valley State University, the only 1890 land-grant university in Georgia, is a comprehensive institution that provides an education to over 2,800 students including graduate students. The university is located in the town of Fort Valley in Peach County, the original site of the state's peach industry. Its 1,365-acre (5.52 km2) campus is Georgia's second-largest public university in area.
This position is responsible for providing law enforcement response and assistance. The sergeant provides duty instructions and supervises police activity at an operational level, which includes implementing orders, investigations, maintaining discipline and ensuring the punctuality of officers. This position requires community oriented policing.
- Conducting inspections for police and security personnel to ensure they have all necessary equipment.
- Review daily reports for accuracy and for department compliance.
- Performs administrative duties; employee evaluations, disciplinary actions, roll call and monthly reports.
- Responds to complaints, provide direction to the officers on scene and evaluate decisions.
- Take command over critical incident scenes when arriving as the ranking officer.
- Supervise and assist with all investigations, crime scenes, warrants and arrest.
- Prepares various records and reports; testifies in court and performs other related work as required.
- Patrols the campus and outer perimeter up to 500 yards.
- Renders aid to motorists such as jump-starts and calling a wrecker or locksmith if needed.
- Work sporting events and any other activities as needed.
- Must be available for recall in emergency situations.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Knowledge of standard police practices and techniques.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of CAD reporting system.
- Knowledge of University properties.
- Knowledge of investigating sensitive crimes, special investigations and major crimes.
- Knowledge of executing search warrants, arrest warrants and subpoenas.
- Skill in analyzing situations and determining proper action.
- Skilled in approving reports.
- Skilled in investigation and crime scene.
- Skill in effective written and oral communication.
- Skill in dealing with all types of people in a professional manner.
- Associates degree or a combination of education and related work experience.
- More than 4 years of related experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Police Standards and Training Council for the State of Georgia.
- Field Training Officer (FTO) preferred.
- Marijuana Examiner
- Intermediate Certification
Fort Valley State Universityhttps://fvsu.applicantpro.com