Banquet Captain (Catering) - 501799
**For a Limited Time, Hired Candidates are Eligible for up to $1,000 Sign-on Bonus**
The Banquet Captain is a member of the University Catering team. The Banquet Captain manages and executes the set-up and break-down of all assigned catered events. The Banquet Captain exhibits professionalism, flexibility, and grace under pressure as the representative of University Dining at a catering event.
In the assigned unit, this position may perform some or all of the following:
- Manages and supervises all aspects of assigned events, including set-up, service, break down, and clean-up. Negotiates with clients on requests for last minute changes.
- Assists catering production staff with hands-on production, as needed.
- Inspects food quality and consistency of all food production at events.
- Monitors and records temperatures of foods stored in refrigeration, in hot boxes, and on the serving line to ensure safe temperatures.
- Orders and maintains inventory of supplies for assigned locations to include: coffee, linen, sodas, alcohol, paper and plastic goods, or other items as requested.
- Ensures the overall sanitation and organization of store rooms in satellite locations.
- Cleans dishes, equipment, and supplies as needed. Ensures the safe and accurate return of supplies to proper kitchen and storage locations.
- Responsible for cleanliness and organization of all catering vehicles and storage locations.
Alcoholic Beverage Control
- Handles alcoholic beverage supplies in compliance with the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) regulations.
- Monitors dispensing of alcoholic beverages during events:
- Ensure consumers are of legal age.
- Monitors guest consumption levels.
- Transports alcoholic beverages to and from events in a secure manner. Stores alcohol inventory under lock for catering use.
- Accurately completes department inventory and loss reports, verifying inventory and usage amounts for inclusion in University reporting to the ABC.
- Reports any quantity discrepancies.
- Entrusted with keys to alcohol storage units.
- Conducts inventories, as assigned.
- Handles cash according to established standards.
- Trains staff.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- This position requires long periods of standing and walking.
- The ability to lift 50 lbs and the ability to push and pull bulk carts with up to 150 lbs. in conditions that are often, hot, humid, or cold.
- Must be able to safely use and operate typical kitchen and transport tools and equipment.
- Must be able to work outdoors in varying weather conditions, on occasion.
- Basic knowledge of safe food handling practices.
- Knowledge of culinary skills and techniques and the ability to train and lead others.
- Knowledge of and ability to exercise basic management principles, including leading and training staff, and ability to work cooperatively as a part of a team.
- Skilled in using effective time management, problem solving, and public relations techniques.
- Skilled in reading, mathematics, and written and verbal communication.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions and procedures.
- Ability to exercise flexibility, work independently without direct supervision, and work under pressure to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to provide a high level of customer service.
- Ability to monitor and/or maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to use computers and learn new software.
- Required: Must have a valid Driver's License and be able to produce a driving record with a minimum of 3 years of driving history in good standing
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED.
- 2 to 4 years’ banquet experience.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Safe food handler certification preferred, or certification obtained within one year of hire. (This is dependent on the assigned unit.)
- Full-time, non-exempt position
- Rotating days and weekends; 8 hrs./day; 40 hrs./week
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule to include long hours, weekends, and evenings
- This position is designated as essential personnel and, during inclement weather and emergency situations is required to be available to the University as needed.
Pay Grade 3 - Hiring Range $15.88 - $21.48 per hour based on experience **Hired Candidates are Eligible for up to $1,000 Sign-on Bonus**
At the University of Richmond, we’re creative, inclusive, and determined. We’re Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There’s only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE