Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Department of Medicine - Division of Palliative Medicine
is currently recruiting for an Administrative Assistant II
. Under general supervision, provides complex administrative support to an individual, office, department or program. Work requires comprehensive knowledge of the organization or program where assigned, skill in working with issues related to policy, procedures, and confidential matters, and involves considerable participation in the work of the supervisor. Incumbents exercise discretion and judgment with considerable consequence of error. Benefits Information:
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes with 11 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
*** This job announcement will remain open until either 50 applications are received, or by the job closing date*** Primary Duties:
- Edits, formats, and revises a variety of documents and materials created by others. Proofreads for grammatical, typographical and basic content errors.
- Converts rough copy and drafts to final version quality reports, presentations, and documents. Includes incorporating edits from multiple reviewers, adding graphics and effects to presentations, and applying campus style guidelines.
- Drafts and signs routine correspondence and replies to inquiries which do not require technical program knowledge.
- Develops, implements, and maintains paper and electronic filing systems which meet department needs and satisfy requirements for retention and information security. Enters, updates, and retrieves information as needed. Creates reports as needed.
- Researches, analyzes, and summarizes information and source materials for reports independently and communicates findings orally and in writing.
- Receives and reads incoming correspondence and information. Summarizes and prioritizes review of correspondence. Screens out items to be handled personally and forwards remainder with necessary background material.
- Receives and screens telephone calls and visitors. Independently handles procedural and substantive matters and inquiries which do not require technical knowledge or refers callers to others as appropriate.
- Makes all necessary arrangements for travel and independently performs required administrative follow-up and recordkeeping.
- Assists in preparing and administering department budget by updating accounts, and running periodic reports.
- Acts as intermediary for supervisor, interacting with officials, staff at all levels and the public. Provides information requiring comprehensive knowledge of institutional policies, procedures, and special departmental issues.
- Anticipates supervisor's course of action when absent and facilitates problem resolution. Interprets administrative decisions and policies to other staff and transmits directions and instructions based on authority delegated by the supervisor.
- May provide guidance and instruction to other office support staff.
High School Diploma or GED. Experience:
Three (3) years experience providing administrative support. Required Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:
General knowledge of and skill in the practical application of generally accepted office practices and procedures. Ability to communicate effective both orally and in writing. Ability to proofread and edit written documents. Skill in various computer software packages, such as word processing, spreadsheets, database, and presentation programs, Internet, email and calendaring software. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions. Ability to interact effectively with internal and external parties in a courteous and efficient manner. Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and execute multiple and continuing assignments with general instructions. OTHER:
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union). Salary Range:
$37,863 - $47,000
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Non-Exempt StaffShift:
School of Medicine - Department of MedicineJob Posting:
Sep 9, 2021Unposting Date:
Sep 23, 2021, 10:59:00 PM